Despite struggling toward the end of the regular season, freshman guard Kiyanna Black was selected to the Mid-American Conference 2012-2013 All-Freshman team Friday.

Black was Ohio’s lone representative on an All-MAC team, as the guard averaged almost 10 points per game this season. She finished the year with the third most points per game among freshmen.

Though she was also the Bobcats’ third-leading scorer, she attempted a team-high 345 shots, which is 58 more attempts more than Ohio’s leading scorer junior guard Erin Bailes.

While many Bobcats battled injuries throughout the season, Black played in all 28 games and was the team’s leading scorer until recently. Through 16 games, she was averaging a personal-best 12.6 points per game.

Black finished 13 games in double-digit scoring, highlighted by her season-high 26-point outing in the Bobcats’ first meeting with Miami on Jan. 17. However, she scored just 16 combined points in Ohio’s final six games of the regular season.

She is the first Bobcat to be named to the team since junior guard Shavon Robinson recieved the same honors in 2011.

The Bobcats will begin MAC Tournament play at 2 p.m. Saturday, when they take the floor in Oxford for their third meeting with Miami this season. Ohio fell to Miami 66-61 Wednesday in its regular season finale. 

cl027410@ohiou.edu