Pregame

The Bobcats (8-1) entered the Michigan Invitational after winning their second tournament of the season last weekend at the Western Kentucky Invitational. Ohio swept UNLV and then-No. 21 WKU, and defeated Virginia in a five-set comeback.

Maryland (8-1) entered Friday's match after winning its second home tournament of the year without dropping a set. The Terps have won six consecutive matches, each of which were at home and straight-set sweeps.

Ohio freshman outside hitter Katie Horton returns home to Michigan after winning the Mid-American Conference East Division's offensive player of the week on Monday.

This was the sixth time the two teams have met on the volleyball court, the Bobcats had a 4-1 advantage over the Terps before Friday's match.

First Set

Ohio started off with two kills and an ace during a 3-0 run, but Maryland then cut the lead to just one. Ohio led 4-3.

The teams exchanged points back and forth, and Katie Horton killed the ball twice to help the Bobcats take a two point lead. Ohio then led 8-6.

Maryland scored four straight points to take a two point lead of their own, but then the Bobcats fought back, with two kills by Liis Kullerkann and one by Karin Bull, to tie the set at 12.

Ohio got back out to a two point lead, but immediately after, Maryland's Emily Fraik killed the ball two straight times to tie the game at 17.

The teams went back and forth for a while until Maryland took the 24-23 lead late in the set. Ohio took a timeout, and then came out to finish the set on a small 3-0 run.

Final: Ohio 26, Maryland 24

Second Set: Ohio 1, Maryland 0

The teams fluctuated back and forth early in the set, but then Ohio took a three point lead thanks to a service error my Maryland. Ohio led 10-7.

An Ohio service ace and two Maryland attack errors helped the Bobcats climb to a 14-9 lead in the set.

The teams exchanged two attack errors on each side, and then the Bobcats killed the ball two straight times, which forced the Terps to take a timeout. Ohio led 19-14.

Ohio took a six point led, but then that was followed up with three straight points by Maryland. Ohio led 22-17.

Maryland fought back to get the game within three points late in the set, but the Bobcats finished off the second set with a kill by Kelly Lamberti.

Final: Ohio 25, Maryland 21

Third Set: Ohio 2, Maryland 0

The two teams literally exchanged points for the first 17 plays. Maryland led 9-8.

Maryland took a four point lead, but then the Bobcats scored four straight points to tie the set at 15.

The teams tied the game again at 17, but then three straight kills from the Bobcats gave them a three point lead late in the set. Ohio led 21-17.

The Terps got a few points back, but a kill and an ace from Abby Gilleland helped Ohio take a 24-20 lead.

Maryland scored three straight points in an effort to come back, but Ohio shut the door late with a block by Alexis Pinson.

Final: Ohio 25, Maryland 23

Final: Ohio 3, Maryland 0 (26-24, 25-21, 25-23)

Ohio

Kelly Lamberti - 9 kills, 8 digs, 1 block

Abby Gilleland - 31 assists, 9 digs, 2 kills, 1 ace

Mallory Salis - 11 digs, 3 kills

Liis Kullerkann - 9 kills, 2 blocks, 1 dig

Karin Bull - 7 kills, 1 dig, 1 block

Maryland

Mary Cushman - 14 kills, 8 digs

Amy Dion - 20 assists, 3 digs

Sarah Harper - 18 digs

Up Next

The Bobcats (9-1) will take the court against Marshall at 5:30 p.m. on Friday. The Herd are coming off a 3-0 loss to No. 10 Michigan earlier on Friday in the opening match of the Michigan Invitational.

Marshall swept its home tournament last weekend, when the Herd defeated Kent State in five games.

No. 24 Ohio has started the season 9-1 for the first time since 2002.