Pregame

Ohio (9-1) came into the match after defeating Mayland in a straight-set sweep during its first game of the Michigan Invitational. Ohio won the Western Kentucky Invitational last weekend after posting three victories in two days.

Marshall swept its home tournament last weekend, including a five-game victory over Kent State. The Herd came off a 3-0 loss against host No. 10 Michigan earlier on Friday.

No. 24 Ohio's victory over Maryland improved its record to 9-1, which is the best start the team has had since 2002.

First Set

Neither team could break away from the opposition early in the set, but the Bobcats had a two point lead twice. Ohio led 9-7.

The teams went back and forth, but then Marshall took a 13-12 lead. Two kills by Alexis Pinson and a Marshall service error helped the Bobcats get back on top. Ohio led 15-13.

Ohio went on a 4-0 run, including a kill from Liis Kullerkann and a kill from Kelly Lamberti. Ohio led 19-14.

Marshall scored five of the next seven points, and that cut the Bobcat lead to just two. Ohio led 21-19.

Two kills and a block from Katie Horton helped Ohio finish the set on a 4-0 run and win the first set against the Herd.

Final: Ohio 25, Marshall 19

Second Set: Ohio 1, Marshall 0

Ohio took an early 6-3 lead, but then Marshall took the next two points to get back within one point. Ohio led 6-5.

Ohio got back up to a one point lead, and then Karin Bull notched a kill and a block in consecutive plays to put the Bobcats up by 3. Ohio led 11-8.

The Bobcats got themselves up to a four point lead, but then Marshall fought back to cut the lead to just two. Ohio led 20-18.

Three Ohio kills helped the Bobcats take a four point lead late in the set. Ohio led 23-19.

The Bobcats finished the set on a 5-2 run, and they took the first set by five points.

Final: Ohio 25, Marshall 20

Third Set: Ohio 2, Marshall 0

Marshall started the set with an early 7-4 lead, but then a kill and a block by Bull helped Ohio tie the set at 9.

The teams exchanged points for a while, and then Marshall got itself off to a 15-13 lead. The Bobcats came back with two points to tie the set at 16-16.

A short 4-2 run by the Herd gave them a 20-18 lead, which forced the Bobcats to take a timeout.

Four errors by the Bobcats helped the Herd finish the set on a 7-2 run. This was the first set that Ohio dropped in the Michigan Invitational.

Final: Ohio 20, Marshall 25

Fourth Set: Ohio 2, Marshall 1

Marshall got off to a 7-5 lead, but Ohio came back with two points to tie the set at 7.

Ohio started to pull away as a kill each from Kullerkann and Lamberti helped the Bobcats take a three point lead. Ohio led 15-12.

Marshall started to come back, but then Ohio got back out to an 18-15 lead.

Ohio went on a 5-0 run late in the set to take a 23-15 lead.

Ohio finished the set on a 7-2 run. The Bobcats fourth set win gave them the match victory.

Final: Ohio 25, Marshall 17

Final: Ohio 3, Marshall 1 (25-19, 25-20, 20-25, 25-17)

Ohio

Abby Gilleland - 40 assists, 8 digs, 4 kills, 2 blocks, 1 ace

Alexis Pinson - 11 kills, 3 blocks

Meredith Ashy - 12 digs, 2 assists, 1 ace

Katie Horton - 11 kills, 2 digs, 2 blocks, 1 assist

Kelly Lamberti - 9 digs, 6 kills, 5 assist, 1 block

Marshall

Sammie Bane - 36 assists, 3 digs, 1 ace

Ally Kiekover - 13 kills, 2 digs, 1 ace

Cassie Weaver - 10 digs, 9 kills, 1 ace

Up Next

Ohio finishes the Michigan Invitational against host team No. 10 Michigan at 7 p.m. Saturday. Michigan is 1-0 at home so far this season, as they beat Marshall in a 3-0 sweep Friday morning.

Michigan senior middle blocker Jennifer Cross and junior setter Lexi Dannemiller lead the Wolverines this season. The two girls both won all-tournament honors in the Texas A&M Invitational and the Xavier Invitational.

The two teams have met twice on the volleyball court, and Michigan owns the 2-0 all-time series. The last meeting was in the second round of the 2009 NCAA Tournament, where the Bobcats lost in two sets.