Today’s style of play is extremely different from yesterday’s, as players will alternate hitting shots using only one ball in an event called “foursome.” Players alternate hitting tee shots as well.

Match No. 7:

Jason Day/Graham DeLaet vs. Phil Mickelson/Keegan Bradley

The Day and DeLaet duo turned out to be the juggernaut for the International team on day one, as they came back from three-down against Brandt Snedeker and Hunter Mahan.

“I think we are a good team, and you know, hopefully we can just kind of keep rolling,” DeLaet said.

On the American side, Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley were heavily favored yesterday and were playing that way before the rain delay, until their lead slipped away on the back nine.

“After the rain, I ended up having a bad practice session before I went out, and I played terribly the back nine and left Keegan alone on a lot of holes,” Mickelson said.

The weather is perfect today, so look for Lefty to be resurgent and Bradley to start making some putts for the Americans. The Canadian/Australian team comprised of Day and DeLaet drop the first match of the day for the Internationals.

International 2.5, U.S. 4.5

Match No. 8:

Ernie Els/Brendon de Jonge vs. Hunter Mahan/Bill Haas

The duopoly from South Africa, Els and de Jonge, mildly shocked the veteran abilities of Steve Stricker and youthful vigor of Jordan Spieth yesterday, as the last match on the course went down to the 18th hole. Stricker’s up-and-down from the front bunker was the ultimatum, but for Els and de Jonge to keep it close means a lot for the Internationals.

Both Haas’ and Mahan’s matches were settled on the 18th hole and expect no different for this match today. Expect a win from the Americans in one of two pairings restructured for day two of play.

International 2.5, U.S. 5.5

Match No. 9:

Branden Grace/Richard Sterne vs. Steve Stricker/Jordan Spieth

Grace and Sterne both went 0-1 in their Presidents Cup debut yesterday, losing on the 14th hole to Jason Dufner and Zach Johnson. They won just two holes (seven & 10).

“I still thought we played good -- we didn’t play great. Our putters let us down and they [Dufner and Johnson] killed us on the green today,” Grace said.

Stricker and Spieth did not play to their ability yesterday, so award one point for the Americans.

International 2.5, U.S. 6.5

Match No. 10:

Angel Cabrera/Marc Leishman vs. Webb Simpson/Brandt Snedeker

Leishman’s first match of his Presidents Cup debut couldn’t of been against a more daunting opponent in Tiger Woods and Matt Kuchar yesterday.

“It was a good experience,” Leishman said. “Obviously big crowds, and you know, cheering for the Americans, it was a little bit different, but I didn’t play too bad.”

Winning only the eighth hole yesterday, Cabrera/Leishman need to bring a different style of play to a different brand of golf today, which is entirely possible.

Simpson and Snedeker did not play together yesterday, so it may take a few holes for them to adjust to each others’ games. If Cabrera and Leishman can take a lead early, expect a International win, or at the very least, a halved point.

International 3, U.S. 7 

Match No. 11:

Louis Oosthuizen/Charl Schwartzel vs. Matt Kuchar/Tiger Woods

The last two matches of the day are undoubtedly the two most intriguing matchups. Oosthuizen and Schwartzel shocked pundits by escaping with a two and one victory over the U.S.

“I putted well, but then I also did some very poor shots and that’s where Louis came in and we really combined really well,” Oosthuizen said. “That’s what you need to do in this format, and that’s where the two of us feel comfortable with each other.”

Woods and Kuchar, the last two winners of the Memorial Tournament held at Muirfield, seemed like best friends reacquainted on Thursday. Whether it was the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air high five or the utter domination of their International foes, Woods and Kuchar looked unstoppable.

“When he [Kuchar] made a mistake, I was there; when I made a few mistakes, he was there, and we were just never really out of the hole,” Woods said.

Both teams showcase the best chemistry for the U.S. and the International sides, but don’t expect an upset. Woods and Kuchar dominate this course and should move to 2-0 at the end of the day.

International 3, U.S. 8

Match No. 12:

Adam Scott/Hideki Matsuyama vs. Jason Dufner/Zach Johnson

Matsuyama and Scott trailed most of Thursday, as they never led and were all-square for two holes before heading to the 18th hole. Needing at least a birdie, Matsuyama hit his approach to two feet allowing for a birdie and a halved match.

“It was one of the best shots I’ve ever hit,” Matsuyama said.

Dufner and Johnson played exceptionally well, though they were playing against rookies of the event. Johnson, who contracted the flu earlier in the week, appears to be doing better as he singlehandedly won four holes in the match.

If Scott and Matsuyama don’t score on the Par-3s, two holes of which they dropped to Americans, they could find themselves in a rut. Yet, the combination of their ball-striking and a good feeling from yesterday’s round is enough for an International win.

International 4, U.S. 8

ch115710@ohiou.edu

@ColinHanner