Had I sat down to write this review immediately after I saw bobrauschenbergamerica, it would have turned out very differently. In the course of a night, my entire viewpoint on the play changed. Initially, I didn’t get it. I understood the action and what I saw, but I didn’t immediately pick up on the major themes and the message the show was trying to convey.

After researching for some background information and reviewing the action, I’m now at a place where I can appreciate the play and its unconventionality.

bobrauschenbergamerica is a play by Charles Mee written in a collage-like style to reflect the work of 20th century American artist Robert Rauschenberg. Rauschenberg was famous for his “combines,” which are artistic works that use multiple mediums. He famously mixed paintings and sculptures.

The play is not told in the traditional linear storytelling matter. The plot of one montage will not flow from one scene to the next. It’s easy to understand what is happening in each scene. It’s either a couple fighting about their (non)relationship or a mother telling stories about her son. What can be challenging is understanding the importance of it all.

One of the more important themes in the play is looking at how art can let us explore our freedom and how art is intertwined with life.

All of Bob’s Mom’s (Shambrion Treadwell) monologues include the line: “Art was not a part of our lives.” Throughout the play, through monologues and dance breaks, the play disproves that statement.

Yes, I said dance breaks. At first, these moments seem to come out of nowhere. “What?!” I continuously asked myself as the ensemble performed the Electric Slide. In one moment, there is dialogue and in the next, the entire cast does a square dance. These moments seem ridiculous and pointless until you realize they are a physical manifestation of the idea that art and life are intertwined. Art is a part of life, and it enriches life. How boring would our lives be without those moments of artistic expression where we release our creative energy and just have fun?

As per usual in the Forum Theater, the front row is going to be right on top of the action. You may groove along to the Electric Slide yourself, may possibly get hit with a ping pong ball and may feel as if you are getting in the way of Roller Girl (Sana Selemon) — a character whose purpose I’ve yet to figure out. Always be wary of sitting in the front row of the Forum Theater.

Maintaining its reputation for excellence, the scenic design is breathtaking. At first, a black tarp covers the main background, but once the play begins, the tarp is lifted to reveal the front of a house painted like the American flag. As I’m sure it was meant to be, the set looks like it came straight out of a Rauschenberg combine. Tons of random objects like street signs, hard hats, cans, rackets and masks adorn the wall, much like how Rauschenberg would simply take what he could find to make art. It’s visually stunning.

As far as performances go, I really only felt an immediate impact from Jarahme Pollock’s performance as Bob the Pizza Boy but just chalk that up to Bob’s shocking story. The ensemble is strong, but it’s hard for each character to be memorable when the storylines are so all over the place. It's hard to make an impact as an actor when the material isn't completely cohesive. They do well in bringing their characters to life, but the characters themselves just aren't very compelling.

When I interviewed Thomas Daniels, who plays Allen, he said to enter the theater without any preconceived notions, and that’s exactly what I am encouraging as well. I entered thinking bobrauschenbergamerica would be a standard play and was thrown when it became immediately obvious that the play was anything but ordinary. If you focus too much on how unusual the play’s structure is, then you will miss out on its significance. Don’t get caught up in its untraditional storytelling and structure. Do your best to have an open mind. You’re allowed to not understand the play.

If you need to write a paper on this play, let your feelings and thoughts stew overnight. Your initial reaction may be rather negative if you didn’t immediately understand it. Take time to research Rauschenberg’s work, read over the script because it’s available online in its entirety and just think about art, life and freedom and how the play addresses those themes.

Be willing to be challenged. It’s actually quite rewarding.

Rating: 3/5

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu