If you're tired of hearing "All I Want for Christmas is You" for the millionth time, try some of these other holiday songs, recommended by Post writer Elizabeth Backo. 

Christmas is a time for cookies, family, gift giving and holiday music ringing at the highest volume. I’m eager to put on my Santa hat and sing along to every song the moment Thanksgiving dinner ends.

But the same Christmas tunes every musician feels the need to cover and the constants blaring of Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You,” drives me to a point of insanity well before Christmas Day. Instead, my playlist is filled with the not so classical Christmas songs that could replace Mariah from the top of the charts. 

“Melodies of Christmas” by David Archuleta

Instead of covering the same twenty or so Christmas songs that every artist feels the need to sing, Archuleta takes all the tiresome tunes, throws them together and makes a new, light-hearted song. The melody includes shout outs to Elvis Presley and Celine Dion along with snippets of everything from “Joy to the World” to “Deck the Halls.” It’s creative twist on the common Christmas songs and manages to bring together all the feels associated with the holiday season in less than five minutes.

“Christmas is the Time to Say ‘I Love You’” – Billy Squier

This rock holiday hit released in the ’80s was popular but unfortunately is not quite as recognizable now.  Instead of rockin’ around the Christmas tree, Squier rocks to friendship, love and the hopes of a great year yet to come. He manages to capture the Christmas feeling that comes with glowing faces and pretty lights.

“Christmas in Heaven” by Scotty McCreery

While I don’t bring a tissue box to watch romantic movies and rarely cry unless it’s from laughter, “Christmas in Heaven” is one of my few exceptions.  It’s more than a song to express the pain that comes with missing someone, especially during the holiday season when the world looks joyful and happy but feels so empty. It brings a sense of child-like wonder to losing a loved one and makes the listener truly consider what a “Christmas in Heaven” would be like.

“Christmas Cookies” by George Strait

The quirky original (and not the Duck Dynasty rendition) is laughable and turns into a cutesy love song by the end. A whole song dedicated to cookies deserves a sprinkle more of recognition. The not-so cookie cutter Christmas song has an upbeat melody and jingling bells added to the cheerful chorus. It makes me want to steal a few cookies from Santa’s plate before he slides down the chimney.

“Grown-Up Christmas List” by Amy Grant

Kelly Clarkson and Michael Buble have covered “Grown-Up Christmas List” and brought recognition to Grant’s slow, heartfelt tune, yet it’s another song lost in the shuffle of the most typical Christmas carols. Maybe it’s cliché, but the song also serves as a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. Hint: It’s not presents under a tree brought by a jolly man and flying reindeer. Instead of the latest iPhone, Grant dares to ask for a stop to wars and everlasting love.

“Christmases When You Were Mine” by Taylor Swift

Christmas might as well be equivalent to a pre-Valentine’s Day. And when it comes to love, heartbreak and song writing, Taylor Swift takes the cake. Unlike her overplayed version of “Last Christmas”, this slower melody is original and sounds like the early days of Taylor Swift, such as “Tim McGraw” and “Teardrops on My Guitar.” For all the single carolers waiting for Santa alone on Christmas, this song deserves to be on the set list.

“Every Year, Every Christmas” by Luther Vandross

A good storyline can make any song listenable. When combining a story with a soulful voice and a nice melody, the song becomes unstoppable. “Every Year, Every Christmas” tells the story on Christmas of a man retuning to a corner where he met his love even though she always stands him up. The original song pulls on the heartstrings and shows the power of love, especially around the holiday season.

“Christmas Wish” by She & Him

Christmas can’t be complete without an indie song thrown into the mix. “Christmas Wish” is relatively repetitive and a bit cliché but it’s filled with selfless Christmas cheer. The duo believes all the “good dreams” can come true if everyone were to feel the magical holiday spirit. The slow, dream-like melody makes me feel like a little kid trying to stay awake to see Santa on Christmas Eve.

“Footprints” by Barenaked Ladies

This song is another love story, which is told by footprints left in the snow. The folk pop song has memorable lyrics, such as “To give is better than to deceive.”  The tune seems slightly bitter but with a tad of humor. In the end, the man may be spending Christmas alone, but he’s at least thankful to no longer be stuck in the snow. It’s a unique, catchy Christmas story.

“364 Days to Go” by Brad Paisley

All the toys and cookies aside, Christmas is a time to lay back, relax and take a break from reality. Regardless if you hate the season or you start shopping in July, Christmas is only once a year. “We can’t avoid it,” Paisley says in the country carol, because soon enough reality is back and Christmas is on its way again.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu