Film review: 'Actress' addresses issues with typical documentary, captures tale of compelling subject. 

A documentary’s purpose is supposed to be that of truth, but there are inherent questions that come with that. The main one: how truthful can a person be when a camera is obviously present? Naturally, human beings are different in front of the camera, thus the very foundation of the genre should always be automatically questioned.

Actress, which follows the life of Ohio University alumna and former HBO’s The Wire star Brandy Burre, takes this question and puts it at the forefront of the film. In the documentary, showing this week at The Athena Cinema, Burre talks to the camera, does voice-overs and is even staged in one scene. It’s upfront about the fact that this film is a form of truth, not an end-all truth.

Most significantly, Burre is a compelling subject. The film follows Burre in her domestic roles as well as in her desire to revive her acting career. The story of an actress turned mother trying to revive her career might be an old one, but Burre’s personality and humor make it an interesting story to follow. Off-handed quips about her current situation paired with fun, real moments of her parenting set the somewhat joyful tone of the film. There are serious moments and thought-provoking moments, but they are well balanced by the personable Burre and her delectable sarcasm.

Actress has an easy-to-consume, understandable and relatable plot. Burre is an experienced actress who holds her own and compels all the way through, and Greene’s expert and intriguing filmmaking style captivates with interesting up-close shots, soundtrack choices and non-HD video format.

It’s probably fair to say that most college students have either never seen a documentary or don’t care to see them often, but immersion and exposure are important. The college-age demographic needs to give these types of films more of a chance, and Actress can serve as a great stepping-stone into the world of documentary films.

@buzzlightmeryl

mg986611@ohio.edu