The Weeknd’s second studio album, Beauty Behind The Madness released Aug. 28 showcases diverse musical capabilities.

The Weeknd, also known as Abel Tesfaye may possibly be the only performer from last night’s MTV Video Music Awards to get the outspoken, Kanye West grooving to his funky, alternative R&B summer hit, “Can’t Feel My Face.” Thus, it’s safe to say if Mr. West appreciates your musical talents, then your career has the potential to be everlasting.

“D A D”- North West, August 31, 2025but he’s such a cute dancer tho

via giphy.com

There’s just so much more to The Weeknd than his iconic hair, obscured media presence and angelic vocals. Beauty Behind The Madness dives deeper by illustrating the singer’s most alluring thoughts and imperfections throughout his journey to fame. 

Since releasing his compilation album, Trilogy, The Weeknd’s mysterious music presence skyrocketed to mainstream success, producing superstar collaborations with artists such as Drake (shoutout to that OVO & XO), Ariana Grande and DJ-producer, Mike WiLL Made-it.

Within the last year, he released songs “Often," “Earned It” and “The Hills” in promotion of his album, which received enormous raves of positive feedback from fans, supporters and even critics.

But the party doesn’t stop there. BBTM attempts to take a different approach, showcasing the singer’s genius in translating between the genres of pop, hip-hop and R&B.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c23d6f14-4ab4-11e5-bd07-e389bdcaa1dc"}}

“Real Life” opens the album providing a look into his stone cold personality where he keeps it genuine in his life romances and relationships. He sings, “I heard that love is a risk worth taking, I wouldn’t know never been that boy.”

“Losers” distinctively features a beautiful arrangement of instrumental sounds from majestic trumpets, pulsating electric guitars and snare percussion from British singer and multi instrumentalist, Labrinth.

“Tell Your Friends," produced by mega-rapper Kanye West, provides the perfect blend of old school and new school R&B. The smooth but confident fast lyrics deliver an instant banger that keeps his style sophisticated and different among others.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="25863030-2196-11e5-9798-e7de15343e89"}}

One of the album’s more interesting collaborations includes a shadowy ballad featuring singer, Ed Sheeran. It’s an unusual pairing, exhibiting both Sheeran’s and The Weeknd’s transitional expertise in both pop and and R&B. It’s beautiful, twisted and dark just like the singer’s fantasies.

“Prisoners," featuring Lana Del Rey, is possibly the best collaboration off the album. Both singers provide haunting vocals that intensifies the bass line and snare drum, leaving one feeling cold and alone.

It’s an album that will resonate this year’s airways. The Weeknd’s demonstration of musical capabilities leaves him a step ahead from his other opponents. It’s dark, deep and sensual — a two year project that may take the title as album of the year.

@its_candicew

cw873012@ohio.edu