City Signs Law

Law enforcement work to regulate city signs law

The Athens Police Department received phone calls this weekend from students concerned about vulgar signs hanging on public property, but reminds students that all unpermitted signs are illegal in the city.

Between the throngs of red-cup-holding students, rumbling techno music and lawns littered with beer cans, it might be hard for first-year Ohio University students to notice much else during their first weekend in Athens.

But some students found themselves looking at a number of sexually-explicit banners and felt offended enough to call the Athens Police Department.

“I saw one my freshman year that said ‘drop your daughters off here,’ ” said Ashley Dickinson, a sophomore studying marketing. “It wasn’t a good impression on Athens.”

Improper and unpermitted signs are a problem that occur during nearly every prominent weekend in Athens, including fest and opening weekends. Not only are a majority of the signs said to be vulgar and offensive — they’re also illegal within city limits.

All signs in Athens have to be permitted and approved with Athens City Hall, even if they’re hanging outside on private property, Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said.

APD will ask homeowners to take down any sign that wasn’t explicitly approved by city officials, and had to do so multiple times over Welcome Weekend.

“There were a few less (signs),” Pyle said. “And certainly, (there was) more compliance with the people I talked to. I think people understand that we’re not approaching this issue from a free-speech standpoint.”

Among the signs taken down this year, Bekki Wyss, a senior studying English, former Post columnist and a member of F--kRapeCulture, said she could recall seeing three particularly offensive ones.

One of these signs, reading “Red rover, red rover, freshmen bend over” was hanging in the back parking lot of the C.I., 32 N. Court St. It was mostly visible from APD headquarters, and Wyss said that when she called the department’s non-emergency line, it was taken down in minutes.

“I think there were about the same number of signs out, but they stayed out for less time,” she said. “As soon as an authority figure saw them, a police member or administrator, it was taken down right away. They were handled and discouraged better.”

Wyss also remembered seeing signs reading “Freshmen boys: We lost our virginity, can we have yours?” and “We (heart) butt stuff.” She said there were more on Mill Street that she chose not to read because of their upsetting nature.

“I think that people are hanging these signs in a branding way, they think it makes them look cool or it’s a bonding experience,” Wyss said. “It says the streets don’t belong to you, they belong to the people who make (the signs).”

Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, said city officials are trying to raise awareness on how the signs violate city regulation. City rules on signs within limits is extensive and includes regulations on sign sizes, locations and messages.

Wyss said that after last spring’s High Fest, a sign that read “No means yes, and yes means anal,” was not only taken down, but sparked community outrage.

“I think that people were more worried about what kind of tone those signs sent,” Wyss said.

“Most assaults that happen Fall Semester happen open weekend, so it’s a really horrible thing to create a hostile environment.”

But Pyle said he wants to remind the community that both police and code enforcement officers will continue to ask residents to take their signs down, or even write them a ticket, no matter what the message reads.

Pyle said even if a sign read something like “We stand with Ferguson,” officers would be sent to remove it. But mostly, he added, APD will only receive calls for the offensive signs.

It’s not a matter of free speech, but of city regulations.

“In actuality, it’s not even the police department’s primary responsibility,” Pyle said. “It’s a code violation, and so we’re there in support of code. It’s actually code enforcement that asks for them to be taken down, but we assist because it’s a busy weekend.”

@eockerman

eo300813@ohio.edu