A few last people climb through the windows of a departing13 Fest shuttle bus in the Palmer Place parking lot on Stimson and East State Street in Athens, Ohio, on Saturday, April 18, 2015.

13Fest had attendees caked in mud, ready to ‘get ratchet’

13Fest season concludes with attendees “turnt” and walking home.

Beach balls, beer cans and confetti soared through the air at the 13th edition of Number Fest and, similar to last year, many attendees were left walking back to campus.

13Fest took place Saturday with co-headliners Diplo and ScHoolboy Q. Other acts included iLoveMakonnen and G-Eazy.

Diplo set the stage, after telling the audience he had just finished getting “stoned” backstage. Throughout his set, beer cans took flight, despite the “green cup policy” which dictated all beverages in cans must be poured into cups.

Zach Shope, a freshman studying exercise physiology was hit by a beer can, but still wants to return next year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8b539302-e623-11e4-a7f4-cfc58eb6e608"}}

Diplo, a Grammy-nominated DJ, wanted to “crowd twerk,” not crowd surf. He asked all women in the audience to begin twerking and brought four girls up on stage who were capable of doing a split.

“If you can’t do a split, I am throwing you back into the crowd,” he warned the girls.

Later, Diplo searched for the “best twerker in Ohio” and brought about 12 girls on stage to show off their dance moves.

Diplo played mixes of “Take Me to Church” by Hozier, “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani and “Shots” by LMFAO, among other music. But before leaving the stage, he asked the audience to sing along to one more song — “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston.

ScHoolboy Q ran on stage asking the crowd to be “turnt the f--k up.”

While most danced to the beat and seemed excited, few chose to sing the lyrics, which left the audience nearly inaudible at some points.

“Louder! Louder! Louder!” ScHoolboy Q shouted on several occasions.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4731a4ce-e778-11e4-b509-3b11bf82ad0f"}}

But as the sun set, colorful lights flashed across the crowd and they responded to ScHoolboy Q, who climbed down from the stage and sung pressed against the front row.

“Everybody around me, the energy around me, it was just great,” said Evan Seifert, a 19-year-old from Lancaster.

Later the crowd members bounced and threw their hands into the air when ScHoolboy Q sang “m.A.A.d city” by Kendrick Lamar.

For a moment, ScHoolboy Q got emotional while thanking his fans.

“I ain’t shit without y’all. Y’all pay my bills every month … most importantly, you get my daughter through school every month,” he said.

He left behind the “emotional shit” to get back to the show, and began asking for requests. Nathan Arnett, a freshman studying chemical engineering, began chanting “Man of the Year,” and the crowd joined in. ScHoolboy agreed to sing it as long as everyone got crazy first.

Earlier in the day, iLoveMakonnen “got Ohio going up on a Tuesday.” People stood on coolers and climbed on one another's shoulders to see past the crowd. As the set continued, more and more attendees filtered toward the stage.

Following his set, the second stage, hosted by AnimalXHouse, had a smaller crowd of 150 students.

G-Eazy strived to be “rachet at f--k” and hoped the crowd would do the same at “the biggest college festival in the world.” He sang “Lotta That”,  “Let’s Get Lost” and sang multiple songs dedicated to the women in the crowd.   

Following the fest, attendees, such as Kelsey Waldie, an attendee from Logan, were left searching for a way home. Waldie got kicked off the bus when people began attempting to jump through the windows, she said.

Many others who left following ScHoolboy Q’s performance walked the almost 3 miles back to campus.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu

@mcappy13

ml540312@ohio.edu