Former Ohio University president Roderick McDavis released a report of highlights from his time as president on Tuesday. The report detailed accomplishments such as increasing national prominence, diversity and strategic partnerships among other things. (FILE)

Ohio University's Title IX coordinator resigns, university will restructure leadership

Inya Baiye, whose salary was $100,000 for the 2015-16 academic year, had worked at OU since Oct. 17, 2011.

Ohio University will restructure its Title IX coordination leadership after Title IX Coordinator Inya Baiye resigned Nov. 4, according to a university email sent Wednesday.

Following Baiye's departure, the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost will start a search to find an executive director of the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance and the Office of Equal Opportunity and Accessibility in late fall 2015, according to the email.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bb4fec98-8e13-11e5-88fa-0b8b42988c49"}}

Baiye, whose salary was $100,000 for the 2015-16 academic year, had worked at OU since Oct. 17, 2011 and became the Title IX coordinator July 1, OU spokeswoman Katie Quaranta said in an email.

Until the position is filled, Nicholas Oleksy, a Title IX investigator in the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance, will take on the role of acting Title IX coordinator for the student process, according to the email.

Assistant Director of Civil Rights Compliance Jessica Cook will take over the administrative leadership of the office and will also serve as interim Title IX coordinator for employee and university programs.

In addition, Assistant Director Kerri Griffin will support the compliance office with discrimination and harassment cases, and Dianne Bouvier, director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Accessibility and ADA/504 coordinator, will provide consultation, according to the email.

“I think the students will continue to have really good service," Laura Myers, chief of staff for the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, said.

Baiye’s new position is at the University of North Texas, Myers said. Baiye previously served as as the assistant director for civil rights compliance at OU.

“She and I have had a really great working relationship and I have just really enjoyed watching her grow as a young professional, and so I’m sad to see her go, but I’m really excited,” Myers said.

The Title IX legislation was signed into law in 1972 and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex at educational institutions receiving financial assistance.

OU and other universities are required to assign at least one employee to serve as Title IX coordinator. OU’s Title IX coordinator oversees all university efforts to prevent and resolve discrimination under Title IX, according to OU’s website.

“(Title IX) serves an important role in ensuring equitable facilities and programs, prevention and appropriate response to hostile environments and remediation of sexual violence and other forms of sex and gender-based discrimination in educational settings,” the email read.

The Office for Institutional Equity reorganized July 1 when it split into two offices that address “specialized areas”: the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance, and the Office for Equal Opportunity and Accessibility, according to OU’s website.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu