The Convocation Center at Ohio University is filled for commencement in May 2015. This year, graduating seniors will be able to vote on on a commencement speaker from a list of options.

List of possible Spring Commencement Speakers dwindles

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis received the list of the top eight nominees from Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones last Wednesday.

The list of possible Spring Commencement speakers has been split in half but still includes two actors and a retired baseball player.

Hall-Jones sent out an email to seniors on Jan. 21 explaining how they had an opportunity to vote from a list of 16 nominees for 2016 Spring Commencement.

“In recent years, you have expressed your desire to be more involved in the selection of Ohio University's commencement speaker,” Hall-Jones said in the email.

The votes were received by 11:59 p.m. Jan. 27, and students voted on their top five choices from the list.

The 2015 Homecoming Court and chair of the Student Alumni Board President Kendra Lutes are also involved in coordinating the list of possible commencement speakers.

“I think it’s important that students have a say because it’s their commencement and their chance to take everything they've learned in the past over the past four years and celebrate it,” Lutes, a junior studying communication studies, said.

Former Post editor and Washington Post reporter Wes Lowery said it’s an honor to have made the top eight.

“It's flattering that at least some folks think I'd be a good choice,” Lowery said in an email.

Alex Sheen, founder of the organization "because I said I would," said he is excited for a chance to speak at OU.

“I give a lot of speeches ... and it’s just different to be nominated to speak at your alma mater and for commencement,” Sheen said. “(Commencement) is a really life changing moment where you make a lot of commitments, and the direction of your life is shifting one way or another ... to be able to deliver a message to students at that time is really unique.”

Neither Lowery nor Sheen has heard from the university about being a possible speaker for commencement.

“I haven't heard from the university, and who knows if President McDavis is still mad at me for some article The Post wrote back when I was editor — I'm kidding, mostly,” Lowery said in an email.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="00c1b780-cdbf-11e5-b14a-4bf4430788b4"}}

Sheen said one of his employees marked the date of graduation off in his calendar, and he wouldn’t be surprised if some of the nominees aren’t able to do it because of previous commitments.  

“I hope I’m the only person who actually can do it, and then they will be forced to choose me,” Sheen said.   

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu