On Thursday, a pro-Trump message was written on the graffiti wall. The wall was later painted over by Hispanic and Latino Student Union. 

Greek Week events altered after members painted “Build the Wall”

Greek Week 2016 events to have renewed focus on unity, service and philanthropy, according to a letter sent to Greek organizations.

Several events for Ohio University’s Greek Week, an annual, weeklong event focused on philanthropy, have been canceled after some Sorority and Fraternity Life members painted “Build the Wall” on an area typically designated for graffiti last week.

The Greek Week events, set to take place between April 11 and 18, were amended after unnamed members of Sorority and Fraternity Life painted the graffiti wall by Bentley Hall, including the phrase “Build the Wall,” according to a letter sent Sunday to sororities and fraternities.   

The phrase has been a part of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's campaign to construct a wall between the United States and Mexico to discourage immigration from South and Central American countries.      

The letter was addressed to the “OU Sorority and Fraternity Life community and supporters,” and was signed by the Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and the Women’s Panhellenic Association.

“This phrase is offensive and hurtful to many individuals as it is directly tied to the Hispanic/Latino/a community, makes them feel marginalized, and the message was interpreted that they do not belong at Ohio University,” the letter stated.

The affiliation and names of the Greek members involved are not stated in the letter, as it “is not at the center of this controversy.” Those individuals will not face sanctions, and, according to the letter, were within their rights to free speech.

The Post obtained a copy of the week’s highlighted events prior to the changes announced Sunday. Airbands, an annual event in which groups perform skits and dances, a dodgeball tournament and a 90s Field Day were listed on the original schedule but are not listed on the letter.

The governing councils also made the decision to not approve or support any official or unofficial social activities involving alcohol during Greek Week, the letter stated.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fcdca412-fd03-11e5-a10e-47c97a312377"}}

In wake of the pro-Trump graffiti, the Hispanic and Latino Student Union at OU held an emergency meeting Thursday in the Multicultural Center, where top university officials such as President Roderick McDavis were in attendance, according to a previous Post report.

The Post could not confirm if the graffiti the letter referenced was the same that prompted the meeting Thursday.

McDavis sent an email to students Friday urging them to learn about other cultures and to be understanding.  

"Indeed, this wall is a place of free speech and expression; however, the words painted were troubling because they had a very different meaning to some than they may have to others viewing the message or even to those who painted the message," McDavis said in the email.

The letter stated that the week’s events are meant to promote the ideals of leadership, service, philanthropy and other values.

“The big picture right now is that some people didn't feel unified with Greek life,” Matt Falconer, president of OU’s chapter of Sigma Chi, said. “That was one of the main reasons why Greek Week was altered.”

Alexandra Corsi, president of OU’s chapter of Delta Gamma, said her sorority will show its support at the newly planned events.  

“I think they are gonna make our community a lot better and stronger in the end,” Corsi said.

The letter stated Greek Week has “become stressful” in recent years, contributing to the changes.

“In making these changes, we understand that there are many who will feel that this is a punishment,” the letter stated. “We acknowledge that some teams have made efforts to be inclusive, but as a collective it is our responsibility to hold each other accountable with the ultimate goal of unifying the community.”

— Madeleine Peck and Jonny Palermo contributed to this report.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu