A photo provided by the Athens County Sheriff's Department shows marijuana plants at 9933 Felton Road in Stewart, Ohio on Monday.

Athens County Sheriff's Office seizes about 150 marijuana plants

The Athens County Sheriff's Office seized about 150 marijuana plants and several firearms Monday during a search of 19933 Felton Road in Stewart, Ohio.

The sheriff's office obtained a warrant to search the property due to a suspected marijuana growing operation about 20 minutes away from Athens, according to a news release. The Athens Major Crimes Unit, the Athens County Sheriff's Office Criminal Interdiction Unit and K9 Bora — the sheriff's office's drug-sniffing and patrol dog — searched the premises.

Chaz McComas, a 33-year-old Stewart resident, was arrested for marijuana cultivation and manufacturing a controlled substance. He was transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the release.

McComas faces second-degree felony charges, according to the release. A second degree felony conviction comes with a prison sentence of two to eight years and up to $15,000 in fines.

A similar search took place Friday when the Athens County Major Crimes Unit uncovered marijuana, digital scales and more than $2,500 in cash at 211 W. Washington St. in Athens.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu