Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University.

What Would You Wear: First impressions are important, make sure to wear something sharp

The first day of classes my freshman year was one of the most exciting days of my life. I was starting new classes at a new school in a new place, surrounded by strangers and opportunity and crippled by fear. I made an effort to remember every detail of my first day of college; the way the classrooms smelled and the feeling of hope that stirred within me. 

Today, however, it has been four years, and though that first day of classes was a milestone for me, it was one of the least memorable days of my college career. 

I don't remember what I did, I don't remember all the classes I took, and I can't for the life of me remember what I was wearing. However, I am sure it was something fancy.

I have always been of the mind that your clothes should say something about you. An outfit should tell a story, and what better way to tell a story than with a bold pair of patterned pants, or a funny screen tee?

Last week, I showed up to my first class on the first day of senior year in a white t-shirt and blue jeans. My hair was a little messy, having just been trapped beneath my work hat for two hours. The hike between my job and my class had turned my neck into a waterfall. Still, the necklace I chose to complete my most-basic-first-day outfit made me feel confident, beautiful and ready for a new semester.

One of the most under appreciated fashion statements is no statement at all: simplicity. The basics are not only stylish, but comfortable, and a "plain" outfit can serve as a canvas to allow you to express yourself in the most authentic ways. Bold and trendy pieces are cool, but you don't always have to let your clothes speak for you. Sometimes, it's better to tell your own story.

Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. What did you wear back on your first day back to school? Let Kayla know by emailing her at kb851412@ohio.edu.