Ohio wide receiver Sebastian Smith attempts to run through Western Michigan's defense during a game on Saturday, October 17, 2015. (LAUREN BACHO | FILE)

Football: Breaking down the 'Cats

It has been a long offseason.

Through retirements, quarterback changes and uncertainty surrounding the team, the season is now here.

As the Bobcats start the 2016 season Saturday afternoon against Texas State in Peden Stadium, The Post football reporters dissect the offense, defense and special teams.

Offense

Tim Albin kept his expectations for the offense simple: score more points.

That was his message to media at media day on Aug. 8, and since then, the chances the offense will please Albin only appear more likely.

For starters, Albin, Ohio’s offensive coordinator and running backs coach, said the Bobcats have offensive weapons across all skill positions — quarterback, running backs and wide receivers.

The quarterback situation is resolved: Greg Windham is the man moving forward, and his teammates are genuinely excited for him.

Ohio will have its most explosive running game in recent seasons, which will help out Windham, the new starting quarterback. Papi White’s elusiveness will be used interchangeably with the brute power of A.J. Ouellette and Dorian Brown.

At times, that could mean one back beside Windham in shotgun formation; other times might lead to three backs on the field at the same time.

The passing game will be strong, too. Windham has confidence and a strong arm to create explosive plays.

Sebastian Smith sat out some of preseason practice, but he’ll be available for the season opener. Smith, combined with Jordan Reid, Brendan Cope and tight end Troy Mangen all offer numerous options for Windham.

The only concern might rest in a younger offensive line, but indicators point to the unit being stout in both the running and passing game.

Albin’s expectations seem realistic.

Defense

Ohio’s defense, once again, has the potential to be the team’s best trait.

With the front seven consisting of players such as linebackers Quentin Poling and Blair Brown and defensive end Tarell Basham, the Bobcats’ defense will strive to be aggressive.

Last season, the Bobcats gave up 25.3 points per game, placing them fourth in the Mid-American Conference for points allowed per game. Ohio also ranked top five in the MAC for passing yards allowed per game with 209.5 and rushing yards allowed per game with 168.2.

Along with Poling, Basham and Brown, the front seven also consists of linebacker Chad Moore, nose tackle Tony Porter, defensive tackle Casey Sayles and defensive end Kurt Laseak.

The front seven should be the defense’s best asset, as the unit has the most experience in the group. Its youngest players are Porter, Poling and Moore — all redshirt juniors.

The secondary, however, does not necessarily agree with the notion the front seven is the defense's best asset.

“The secondary is the strongest part of our defense,” free safety Toran Davis said at Ohio’s media day Aug. 8.

The defensive backfield has talented players alongside Davis, with strong safety Kylan Nelson and cornerbacks London Miller and Mayne Williams highlighting the crew.

The issue with the unit, however, is that it is relatively inexperienced.

Davis, a redshirt senior, is the most experienced of the unit. Nelson is a redshirt sophomore. Miller is a Junior College transfer from Mt. San Jacinto College in Menifee, California, and Williams is a redshirt freshman.

Ohio’s defense is talented, with its front seven and secondary looking to bring aggressive play. The Bobcats’ offense is talented, too, but fans should expect the team’s defense to be the reason for the offense’s success.

Special Teams

New kicker, redshirt freshman Louie Zervos, has a booming leg –– that has been evident during spring and fall camp. He fought through some accuracy problems early during spring practice to look very solid for the rest of the offseason.

Michael Farkas will be handling the punting duties for the Bobcats and has shown in practice that he has the ability to pin teams inside the 20 with punts regularly longer than 35 yards.

At kick returner, Ohio has the best of both worlds.

Dorian Brown has handled the kick return duties along with redshirt senior Bo Hardy.

Brown is the most physical back Ohio has, and with his big frame, is tough to bring down by anyone’s standards.

Hardy, however, is the exact opposite.

He is the fastest player on the team, with a clocked 4.36 40-yard dash time, and is a threat to take it the distance anytime he touches the ball.

Most teams look for their special teams to be a net zero. Meaning, they will not mess the game up. The Bobcats, however, are a threat to score on special teams at any time.

@CameronFields

cf710614@ohio.edu

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu