Sports Column: Saturday was incredible; Ohio can't let that game end its season

Sometimes, sports are unbelievable.

You wouldn’t believe it when Ohio scored two touchdowns in 15 seconds to take — at the time — a seemingly insurmountable 10-point lead in the fourth quarter.

You’d laugh when Texas State, a team that went 3-9 last season and overhauled its coaching staff this offseason, came back from that deficit to take a lead with 50 seconds left.

You’d think it was a dream when the lead changed six times in the fourth quarter and three overtimes — the final time when Texas State took a lead that wouldn’t be overtaken, a 56-48 lead in a 56-54 final.

And it seemed like a dream to the players, when they sat at the post game press conference and stared into blank space –– it still hadn’t sunk in.

In the best game of the college football weekend, and maybe Ohio Bobcats history, Ohio fell two points short.

In a game of absolutely incredible momentum swings, Ohio had blown it. Then Papi White saved the day. Then Texas State rallied.

It wasn’t a good day for those with high blood-pressure.

Saturday had everything to make even the most despondent fan smile; triple overtime, trick plays, mistakes and an insane finish.

SportsCenter even led off their final broadcast of the night with the game.

Take a step back.

SportsCenter passed over No. 5 LSU’s loss and passed over No. 15 Houston’s triumph over No. 3 Oklahoma.

To show an Ohio vs. Texas State football game.

If it hasn’t hit yet about just how crazy of a football game took place in Athens on Saturday, maybe seeing that the worldwide leader in sports started its program with a Mid-American Conference/Sun Belt game will help.

It’d be foolish to make rash judgements. It was the first game of the season, and who knows, Texas State might compete in the Sun Belt this year.

But for Ohio, the worst thing about losing in triple overtime Saturday, would be losing to Texas State twice –– Ohio cannot let this loss characterize its season.

How will the Bobcats respond to the craziest game that Peden Stadium has ever seen?

To be truthful, I have no idea.

But, for their sake, they’d better figure it out.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu