Bill Holman entertains Katelyn Armitage, Katie Butler, Marsha Butler and Tim Butler in Baker Ballroom during a themed dinner theater event for Parents Weekend in 2015. (FILE)

Weekender Briefs: Ohio University to host events for families during Parents Weekend

Parents Weekend is an Ohio University tradition that reunites Bobcats with their families for three days of entertainment events and recreational activities.

Live entertainment will range from nationally established acts, such as magician Adam Trent and comedy troupe The Second City, to underground performers, such as the bands Skeletonwitch, Moon Curse and Horseburner, which will be performing at The Union Bar & Grill on Saturday.

The Ping Recreation Center’s Outdoor Pursuits program will be hosting three different events for families this weekend: a stargazing and campfire event, a hike at Hocking Hills and ziplining at the Ridges. Tiffanie Fogel, a junior studying music production and recording industry, works for the Outdoor Pursuits program and said these activities are the best option for families interested in high adventure recreational activities.

“Outside (activities) are fun,” said Fogel. “It gives (families) something to do during the day besides hanging out in your dorm room.”

The university will also be hosting activities to introduce parents to the Athens area. On Saturday, Rural Action and the Center for Campus and Community Engagement are sponsoring a bike tour of local wilderness areas and a tour of Little Fish Brewery. Additionally, The Front Room coffeehouse will be hosting Coffee with a Cop, an opportunity for students and parents to meet local police officers and ask questions concerning campus safety.

A full list of Parents Weekend events can be found at the Ohio University website.

Adam Trent: Magician Reinvented

Adam Trent, one of the nation’s most popular magicians, who has been featured on television and Broadway, is performing at OU as a part of the Parents Weekend festivities. Trent strives to give lively and interactive performances, incorporating music and comedy in his act. As he states on his website, “I realized that the most important element in a show is the performer’s connection to the audience, and without that even an amazing performance could fall as flat as a bad boy band.”

If You Go

What: Adam Trent: Magician Reinvented

When: 8 p.m., Friday

Where: Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium

Admission: $20

Skeletonwitch, Moon Curse and Horseburner at the Union

In addition to quality dining, the recently reopened Union Bar & Grill hosts concerts for bands of all musical genres. This Saturday, students and parents can enjoy performances from metal bands Skeletonwitch, Moon Curse and Horseburner. Eric Gunn, co-owner of The Union, recommends the concert for students and parents interested in metal and rock 'n' roll. “If your parents are headbangers, they’ll probably have a good time,” Gunn said.

If You Go

What: Skeletonwitch, Moon Curse and Horseburner at the Union

When: 9 p.m., Saturday

Where: The Union Bar & Grill, 18 W. Union St

Admission: $12 advance, $15 at the door

Second City: Hits Home

Second City has launched the careers of several high-profile comedians and is one of the most prominent comedy groups in the nation. On Parents Weekend, the touring company will be performing at Ohio University. The show will feature a blend of improvisational and sketch comedy with an emphasis on audience participation.

If You Go

What: Second City: Hits Home

When: 8 p.m., Saturday

Admission: $20 per person

@chris_peter_son

cp142115@ohio.edu