Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: 9 tips for a successful Women's Panhellenic Association formal recruit

With rush starting, some women are starting to get very nervous. Here are some tips for a successful recruitment.

1. Be confident, but don’t do it for recruitment

Be confident because you are beautiful, smart and funny. No matter the outcome, you are still an amazing woman and deserve to be treated as such. However, confidence will help when meeting people and showing all your awesome qualities.

2. Dress to impress

Yes, there is somewhat of a dress code during Women's PanHellenic Association recruitment, but sometimes wearing a favorite dress or adding a shade of brand new lipstick helps to boost your confidence too. If wearing too much makeup makes you feel insecure, don’t wear it. The focus is being comfortable and stylish while being yourself.

3. Keep an open mind

Sometimes the chapter you least expect to be part of becomes your family away from home. I hate to say it, but trust the system.

4. Be Panhellenic

You are potentially joining a WPA organization, and you should be representing it and your potential sorority as if you are already involved. That means there is no need to bash other organizations and be friendly to everyone.

5. Make friends

The goal of recruitment is to make bonds with women and get to know people, so try to focus on just making friends instead of getting into a sorority. It takes some of the pressure off, and you can connect better.

6. Ask questions

The key to meeting people is getting to know them, and to do that questions must be asked so don’t be afraid to ask them anything. You might connect with someone you never thought about even talking to.

7. Be yourself

Going back to the confidence thing, you are going to find someone to talk to. You want them to meet the real you, not someone you are pretending to be because you're worried how they think. Don’t worry. Someone will talk to you and want to connect with you.

8. Talk to your Rho Gamma

A Rho Gamma is the person who escorts you to all the houses. No matter how you're feeling, they are 100% there for you and want you to find your home. So, if you have any questions about recruitment ask to sit down and chat with them.

9. Have fun 

This is the most important rule. I hear from so many people "this is so scary" and "I’m so worried," but the truth is when you take away all the layers, you are just meeting new people and that should be fun. 

So be nervous, but also enjoy the experience, because it can be a great one. 

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Are you nervous about recruitment? Let Erin know by emailing her at f441614@ohio.edu.