Team Heart and Sole crosses the finish line of the second annual Race for the Cure on Saturday.

Survivors, participants attend second Race for the Cure event in Athens

Survivors and supporters of breast cancer awareness gathered Sunday to walk in Athens’ second annual Race for the Cure event.

In addition to the race itself, the event included Survivor Palooza, a survivor parade and a one-mile Family Fun Walk. The 5K race started at Walter Fieldhouse, ran from South Green Drive to Elliott Street to the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway and ended at Peden Stadium.

“I’m here because one of my best friends in the whole world is the co-honorary chair of the race,” Joni Hodgson, an Athens resident, said. “This year is extra special because of Cindy Oremus.”

Oremus, another Athens resident, is a four-time breast cancer survivor and has been in remission for the past 16 years. She is the captain of Team Cinderella, which was the top raising team of the event with 41 members and $13,485 raised for the Susan G. Komen foundation.

“The positive energy and the support has been incredible,” Oremus said. “I’m thrilled.”

Another team walking at the race was Chix 4 a Cure from Glouster, which formed in honor of eight-year breast cancer survivor Amy Kish.

“Today is important because it brings people together for a common cause and to raise awareness and provide money to help further research for breast cancer,” PJ Guthrie, a member of Chix 4 a Cure, said. “We walked last year, and it always felt good.”

Kellea Tibbs organized a team in honor of one of her friends, a former librarian at Ohio University for 27 years, who died due to breast cancer last December. She walked in the Komen Race for the Cure in Columbus, too, but said she was glad that the race was brought to Athens.

According to the Ohio Department of Health, Athens’ breast cancer rates for women were 146.5 per 100,000 people in 2015, which was higher than the state average of 120.3 out of 100,000 people.

“People unfortunately are suffering from breast cancer all over, and this area is just as important,” Tibbs said. “People are willing to give their time and volunteer to make important in this area as well.”

Not everyone at the event was a returning participant from last year, though. Kimberly Jackson and Kelly Wayand, who both live in Athens, said it was their first time walking in the Athens race.

“I have two grandparents that died from breast cancer, and a very dear friend that I call a mom had a partial mastectomy,” Wayand said. “I’m here for that. It’s important to me.”

Sarah O’Brien, a nursing faculty member at OU, said she would be running in the race. She too was pleased at the participation in the event.

“Every year it grows, and it’s becoming a larger event every year,” O’Brien said. “It’s accomplishing that goal.”

@anastasianicc

an631715@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of the photo caption incorrectly stated the date the event took place. The race took place on Sunday. The caption has been updated to show the most accurate information.