President Roderick McDavis and Sandra Anderson listen to a presentation by the College of Business during the Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday, January 21, 2016. The Board of Trustees voted to give President McDavis a $20,000 raise and a $100,000 bonus at their June 24 meeting. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | FILE)

Board of Trustees to vote on demolishing Martzolff and O’Bleness houses

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees will meet on campus Thursday and Friday in Walter Hall to discuss South Green residence hall demolition, renovations around campus and campus construction.

In the second meeting of the 2016-17 academic year, the board will vote on a resolution approving the second phase of the Back South demolition project. If passed, O’Bleness House and Martzolff House would be demolished in the summer. Fenzel House could be next in line for demolition, but no official decision has been made yet on whether it will be included in the second phase of the project.

OU is requesting $3 million for the total project budget and authorized expenditures for the project.

As part of the first phase, Cady Hall, Foster House and Brough House were demolished over the summer. The cost of the first phase was about $1.6 million.

The demolition of those residence halls is part of the Housing Master Plan, which calls for the renovation and construction of halls on South Green.

Despite undergoing more than $1.8 million in renovations this summer, Alden Library could see more changes if the board approves a resolution for its renovation. That would renovate and expand the restrooms on the fourth floor, add a new service desk to the fourth floor and move the Academic Advancement Center to the renovated space on the second floor. Those modifications to the fourth floor would allow for the opening of 24-hour service on that floor, according to the board’s agenda.

The university is requesting approval of $2.89 million for the total project budget.

Front Room Coffeehouse and Latitude 39 could also see upgrades if the board passes a resolution to approve the total budget and authorized expenditures of $1 million.

Those areas have not been updated since Baker Center first opened about 10 years ago. By completing those upgrades soon, it “will avoid the need for major renovations to these spaces in the future,” according to the board’s agenda. The aesthetics and furnishings will be improved at both places, and new service counters would be added to Front Room, and a new storefront would be added to Latitude 39.

Also on the board’s agenda is a resolution to proceed with construction for the Boyd Hall bathroom upgrades. Previously, the board approved a total budget of $1.31 million. The administration wants to amend the budget, however, and change the total to $2.4 million to finish the project paid for by Housing and Residence Life Reserves.

There is a resolution to continue the Mackinnon Hall bathroom rehabilitation, which will add drinking fountains throughout the building, replace failing plumbing stacks and rehabilitate bathrooms with new fixtures and finishes. Previously, the board approved a total budget of $925,000. The administration wants to change the total to $1.12 million, however, to finish the project paid for by Housing and Residence Life Reserves.

An update about current campus construction will also be given at the meeting. Renovations to McCracken Hall are expected to be completed by December, and the Jefferson Hall renovations will be completed in the spring.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu