Becky Sirc, a barista at Donkey Coffee, makes an order on October 12, 2016.

For one student, benefits of two pots of coffee per day outweigh health risks

Two whole pots of coffee may seem like a lot for an average student, but to Mitch Fraley, a freshman studying psychology, it is just another day.

Fraley, who uses they/them pronouns, said they try to drink coffee every morning. 

“Usually, I at least drink it in the morning, but I drink it a lot," they said. "I would say I drink like two pots a day." 

Many students use coffee, which contains the stimulant caffeine, as a way to start their day and maintain focus in their early classes. Drinking as much as Fraley, however, can be a bit risky.

Deborah Murray, an associate professor of nutrition, said although caffeine does have some positive effects, overuse of the substance can lead to many problems.

“The cons are sleep disruptions, which is huge for a college student," Murray said. "It’s a cardiac stimulant, so it’s going to increase heart rate, increase pulse, and it’s going to cause jitters. All of those things are going to be counterproductive to having a focused work day.”

Fraley said they usually experience some of those positive effects from the caffeine, but at times they have become “shaky” from consuming too much.

Consuming more than four cups of any caffeinated beverage per day can lead to insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, irritability, upset stomach, fast heartbeat and muscle tremors, according to the Mayo Clinic.

The clinic also states a person's reaction to caffeine may vary based on body mass, age, weight and a variety of other factors. The clinic also warns about the dangers of sleep loss associated with caffeine consumption.

“Most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep each night," according to the clinic's website. "But caffeine can interfere with this much-needed sleep. Chronically losing sleep — whether it's from work, travel, stress or too much caffeine — results in sleep deprivation. Sleep loss is cumulative, and even small nightly decreases can add up and disturb your daytime alertness and performance.”

James Gaskell, the Athens city-county health commissioner, said caffeine can sometimes have much more serious effects than just sleep loss or loss of focus.

“Caffeine causes stimulation of your heart and overdoses of caffeine certainly cause your heart to race and cause arrhythmias.” Gaskell said. “That can be very serious.”

A heart arrhythmia is when the heart begins to beat irregularly. According to the Mayo Clinic, it can cause shortness of breath and can lead to more serious health problems over time.

But Murray said in normal doses, the stimulant is mostly harmless.

“It absolutely helps with alertness and focus,” Murray said.

Fraley said potential negative effects are not a concern.

“I can see where they’re coming from," Fraley said. "I don’t think it’s as unhealthy as they think it is, and I kind of think they’re crazy.”

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu