At-large representative Pat McGee asks a clarifying question at the City Council Meeting on Jan. 25. (FILE)

City Council: Council to vote on police contract before Halloween Block Party

With the Halloween Block Party less than two weeks away and the Athens Police Department's contract with the Ohio University Police Department set to expire, City Council will make a final decision as to how to revise that contract at Monday's meeting.

In a meeting in August, APD Chief Tom Pyle requested council revise the nearly 30-year-old contract to make it easier for the the two departments to work together during events like the Halloween Block Party and spring fests.

The proposed revisions would stop the departments from charging one another for aid. It would also allow APD to assist OUPD in more instances by changing the wording. Currently, the two departments can only offer assistance during “major events.” The new agreement would change that language to “major instances and emergencies.”

OUPD currently provides APD with 1,000 hours worth of aid. In comparison, ADP provides OUPD with 300 hours worth of aid. In the past, the city of Athens has charged OUPD $10,000 annually for the aid they provide.

Council members have had differing views on the agreement in previous meetings.

“I think it's being a good neighbor, and it is the right thing to do,” Councilman Peter Kotses, D-At Large, said.

Councilman Pat McGee, I-At Large, was skeptical of the agreement when it was first introduced to council. He questioned whether it was fair for APD to offer support to OUPD without billing the department, considering the fact that Ohio University makes revenue from events like the Halloween Block Party, and that other events, like Spring Fests, are instigated by students.

“I don’t believe this agreement is appropriate,” McGee said.

The current contract is set to expire Oct. 25. Council will address the ordinance at Monday's meeting before bringing it to a vote.

At last week’s meeting, council members heard a proposal to connect existing bike routes statewide. If enacted within Athens, there would be a path connecting Nelsonville to Logan.

“For me it's a no brainer really," Kotses said. "Other states have already enacted this. It will allow people to ride within cities on safe and approved routes.”

Council will also revisit an ordinance that will increase the amount of city dollars spent on renovating the sewage facilities at the Depot Lift Station.

The money would supplement a $300,000 critical infrastructure grant awarded by the state in 2014 to be used on the project. The project’s aim is to make upgrades, including replacing the roof, installing a mechanical screen and odor control equipment.

“It helps the city take care of its sewer,” Council President Chris Knisley said. "This request is for additional money allocated for odor control system.”

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu