Quarterback Quinton Maxwell shouts to his teammates before a play against Kent State. (FILE)

Football X's and O's: Ohio will face stingy Toledo defense

Toledo's defense might not have the strength that its offense does, but for a struggling Ohio offense, it could be the toughest challenge it has faced all season. 

The Bobcats have had trouble moving the ball in the past few weeks, and against a solid defense like the Rockets, Ohio could have trouble starting at kickoff.  

The Rockets have allowed an average of 358 yards per game, which places them 33rd in the country. They also rank 35th in points allowed per game with an average of 22.4. 

Those numbers are inflated by a 55-53 loss to Brigham Young University (BYU) in week four, a game in which Toledo allowed 586 yards. Toledo runs a 3-4 defense, which Ohio hasn't seen since week four of the season when playing Gardner-Webb. 

Breakdown

After analyzing the offense, The Post took another look at a YouTube clip to analyze the Toledo defense against BYU. It wasn't Toledo's finest hour, to say the least.

BYU is a predominately running team, like Ohio, and although BYU runs the ball from under center, the concepts remain generally the same. 

The Rockets ran bump-and-run coverage on the outsides, with two high safeties. Meaning that they're trying to jam the receivers at the line all week. It will be up to wide receivers Sebastian Smith and Jordan Reid to beat that coverage off the line and get open in the passing game.

At the 1:24:06 mark, the front seven is a basic 3-4 front. The line is head up on the tackles and the center, and the outside linebackers are outside the tight ends, maintaining outside contain. With the Bobcats in the pistol, the outside linebackers might shift out into the slots.

The inside linebackers are holding the gaps between the linemen up the middle, with seven men now in the box. 

The two inside linebackers originally read a run on the play-action fake and reacted immediately. With the safeties dropping back deep into coverage and the corners playing man on the outside receivers, the flats were wide open.

BYU hits the wide open fullback running a flat route, who then had a step on the linebackers. The fullback hits the sideline for a 27-yard gain.

The Bobcats will have to take advantage of that type of Rockets aggressiveness to be able to capitalize offensively.

Judgement

Ohio will have an absolute war on its hands this Thursday in Toledo.

On a short week against a monster opponent, Ohio will have to pull out all the stops to beat 6-1 Toledo. With an offense that's sputtering as of late, Ohio has to sort out its offensive play to control the game — and the clock.

If not, it will be a long night at the Glass Bowl. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu