Freshman setter Katelyn Burke (#13) and redshirt freshman outside hitter Carley Remmers (#10) go up to block a Western Kentucky shot on Friday, August 26, 2016 in the Convo. (CARL FONTICELLA | PHOTO EDITOR)

Volleyball: Defense carries Ohio to sweep over Western Michigan

If the cliche about defense winning championships is correct, Ohio is in for a wild finish to its season.

The Bobcats (11-11, 7-3 MAC) swept Western Michigan on Saturday night (8-15, 3-7 MAC) to continue their winning ways in the Mid-American Conference.

But the team that was usually carried by its offense was instead propelled by its defense.

Ohio tallied 13 blocks, a season high, to keep the Broncos offense at bay for the majority of the game.

The Bobcats' leader in blocks was sophomore Simone Miller, who just last weekend was transitioned from outside hitter to middle blocker in the absence of Sara Janusewski.

After a tough loss in five sets yesterday, Miller commended her teammates for helping her succeed at her new role.

“It takes a lot of getting used to play middle and play a new position,” she said. “I think we did pretty well. It's good that we closed out the game. It's good that I can come in and help out my team.”

With Janusewski nearing a return, it remains to be seen whether Miller will stick around in the lineup.

Coach Deane Webb said he originally wasn’t planning on Miller being a long-term option, but her athletic ability has put her in the conversation to remain the starting middle blocker.

“If she keeps learning and improving, it’s going to be hard for us not to have her out there,” Webb said. “She just offers us things from an athletic standpoint that are really special.”

Mallory Salis, whose streak of five consecutive games with 20 or more kills ended last night, recorded 16. But she also contributed with her defense. The senior captain had 13 digs and four assisted blocks.

Libero Erica Walker led the team in digs with 20.

Webb said the biggest key to the team’s victory was shutting down Western Michigan junior Sydney LeMay. The 2014 MAC Freshman of the Year only had five kills and hit at a negative clip.

Ohio’s play at the net was the reason why.

The Bobcats were able to serve well and get the Broncos out of position, allowing them to successfully commit to the block on LeMay.

Ohio forced the middle blocker to record six errors.

“There have been times when we commit blocked and didn’t finish the play,” Webb said. “We were finishing plays when we were commit blocking tonight, which is huge.”

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu