Ohio's Greg Windham lines up a throw during a game against Bowling Green at Peden Stadium on October 8.

Football: 3 things to know about Ohio's win over Bowling Green

Toran Davis said that Saturday afternoon provided some closure for the Bobcats.

A redshirt senior, Davis had lost to Bowling Green the last four seasons by a 168-51 combined score.

On Saturday, he and the Bobcats beat the Falcons 30-24 at Peden Stadium, improving Ohio to 4-2 this season and 2-0 in the Mid-American Conference.

Here are three notes from the Homecoming win.

Saturday was arguably the biggest win in recent program history

It’s no secret Bowling Green is having a rough start to its season. Now 1-5, its hopes at postseason play are dwindling. But that doesn’t matter for Ohio.

The reality is that Bowling Green is still an impressive win — a win that should grow momentum moving forward.

Since 2011, the winner of the matchup between the two schools has gone on to win the MAC East Division and has played in the conference championship game. With that level of consistency atop the division standings, the Bobcats have already beaten the team they’ve been unable to recently beat.

Coach Frank Solich smiled and said that brought relief.

Sending a message

The Bobcats are getting hot at a good time.

Now 2-0 in the MAC, the Bobcats have hardly been overpowering against opponents. Defensively, they’re stringing together their best performances with every upcoming Saturday.

The offense has concerns, but players are getting healthier at a time when Ohio players usually get banged up.

While the two wins offer a cushion entering conference play, they also offer confidence moving forward.

With a home game next Saturday — a matchup with Eastern Michigan — and a quick trip to Kent State the following week, Ohio could produce an October strong enough to consider two upcoming games in December: the MAC Championship Game and a bowl appearance.

Special teams most consistent unit on the team

Occasionally, Solich slips and calls his special teams group special. So far this season, it’s a serious belief.

Earlier this season it was Louie Zervos claiming the spotlight, leading the country in field goals made.

But on Saturday afternoon, punter Michael Farkas took the show.

Farkas has five punts for 245 yards. The bigger stat, though, was three of his punts were downed inside of the Bowling Green 7-yard-line.

The Falcons were able to move the ball against the Bobcats, but Farkas and punt coverage extended Bowling Green drives far enough to keep the visitors struggling to enter Ohio territory.

“None of it is a surprise to us in terms of executing,” Solich said. "Special teams has been our one constant.”

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu