Provided via Flickr

Uptown Eats: All about 'Friendsgiving'

Halloween is over, the semester is more than halfway done and the holiday season is right around the corner. With all of the excitement going on, people tend to forget about the most important day of them all — Thanksgiving. A day filled with friends, family and food.

As a warmup to the actual holiday, many students indulge in what is called “Friendsgiving.” This unofficial holiday happens before or after actual Thanksgiving as a way to not only eat more but to experience a greater bond with their friends.

Due to the lack of funds, however, students are forced to recreate this traditional meal using some simple college hacks. It may not be the freshly carved turkey or made-from-scratch pie they were hoping for, but it does the trick.

One staple item at the Thanksgiving dinner table is none other than mashed potatoes. Don’t have time to mash up 20 potatoes? No problem. All you need is a little packet of instant mashed potatoes that you add to a pot of boiling water. Not only is it less work, it tastes just as delicious.

Of course, what is Thanksgiving without a turkey? Sure, you could roast it in the oven for hours on end, or you can do what the college kids do and stabilize the bird on top of a beer can and let it cook over the flames of a grill. Pouring some of the beer into a pan that the propped up fowl rests in provides a nice and juicy outcome.

Stuffing is one more item that just can’t be left off of the table. A lot of grocery stores will have pre-made stuffing that you just pop in the oven and call your own. Since stuffing is probably one of the easiest and least expensive items to recreate, however, putting in that extra effort to make it from scratch is definitely worth it.

Ah, dessert. The most heavily anticipated part of the Thanksgiving feast. For your "Friendsgiving," having a smorgasbord of dessert options is a must. Designate at least five people to bring items ranging from a box of brownies to a store-bought pie and dig in.

No matter the size or complexity of your spread, what matters most are the people you share it with. It’s called "Friendsgiving" for a reason — so put down those phones and enjoy the people that make your day a little better.

rg599913@ohio.edu