Ohio's Quentin Poling grabs Eastern Michigan wide receiver Antoine Porter during a game at Peden Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Football X's and O's: Stopping Jordan Johnson will be key Thursday night

If Buffalo's running defense was its problem, the team's running offense might be its biggest strength.

Buffalo will try to throw the ball around the field Thursday night — that's been the team's game plan all season. But quarterback Tyree Jackson has been wildly inconsistent this season. He went 28-of-46 in the air for 306 yards and three touchdowns against Ball State on Oct. 15. 

He followed that up with a 25-of-41 performance against Northern Illinois. The only problem: he threw four interceptions and zero touchdowns. 

So while the Bobcats might be opportunistic on defense against Jackson, they might not be able to if the Bulls keep the ball on the ground.

Jordan Johnson carried the ball for Buffalo 24 times against Akron, totaling 282 yards on the night. That's good for 11.8 yards per carry.

After a strong start to the season, Johnson experienced a dip in play, and carries. But after a resurgence against Akron, he might be back.

Fortunately for the Bobcats, that plays right into their hands — the front seven is the strongest part of the defense. 

Breakdown

The Post looked at this YouTube video from the previous week's Buffalo vs. Akron game. 

To say Jordan Johnson took the game over would be an understatement. 

The 58:43 point of the video is a perfect example of just how dangerous Johnson will be. 

The Bulls run a three-wideout set, with the two receiver side on the right. They also have a tight end as a flanker in the formation — he'll go in motion before the play. The Zips, however, only counter with six men in the box. The Bobcats, unless a team spreads the field out, almost exclusively have seven in the box.

The flanker starts right, then heads left in motion. At the snap, he immediately runs backside to get an outside block on the outside linebacker. 

Jackson didn't decide to keep the ball, as he gave it to Johnson. Johnson evades the penetration from the oncoming defensive line and heads upfield. With the safety peeking towards the sideline, Johnson now has a wide-open line to the endzone. That didn't seem possible two seconds earlier. 

Johnson is able to outrun the defense and head in untouched for the touchdown. 

Judgement

Buffalo has only run the ball 280 times this season, 102nd in the FBS.

That will likely change, especially with the resurgence of the running game. Johnson is a load to bring to the ground, standing 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds. 

He'll have to fight through a strong defensive line and linebackers to repeat his success of last week, however. 

And if he's able to be shutdown, Ohio will be knocking at the door of its first MAC Championship game since 2011.

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu