Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Body discussed the presidential election

During the president’s report at Wednesday’s Ohio University Student Senate meeting, President Hannah Clouser began a conversation about the presidential election that emphasized the importance of campus unity.

“We cannot let this feeling of hopelessness cloud our vision of unity,” Clouser said. “No matter who we voted for and how we identify, we can come together for a better future. We cannot change what has happened in the past, but we can value love and respect for one another in the future.”

Republican Donald Trump was announced president of the United States on Wednesday morning, defeating Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones and Vice President of Student Affairs Jason Pina spoke about the election after Clouser.

“I saw students who were really happy today, and I saw students that cried as soon as they saw my face,” Pina said. “I think there was no better place for me to be this election than Athens, Ohio, and I appreciate the day I had on this difficult day.”

Environmental Affairs Commissioner Sarah Pinter talked about the election during the "Student Speakout." She asked senate to try to understand the anxiety students at OU may be feeling.

“I am here to beg of you to have empathy, regardless of who you side with or regardless of what you think,” Pinter said. “Please understand that some of our classmates are genuinely terrified. Try to show our constituents and each other that we have a concern for their well-being and happiness.”

After the meeting, senate members went back to their office to pin pledges onto buttons as part of the Cultural Awareness Training for Students, or CATS, initiative. The pledges state that the wearer will take a stand to intervene against discrimination on campus.

“The buttons are not a solution, but they are a step,” Clouser said. “We must come together now more than ever. It’s not about the election, it’s about us.”

During the treasurer’s report, Treasurer Steve Lichtenfels spoke about how the executives have been working with Hall-Jones to limit emails about parking. Hall-Jones received an applause for her efforts.

Additionally, the Women’s Affairs Commission updated senate on the reproductive health panel, which is coming up next Thursday night at the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. 

The senate did not vote on any resolutions. It did, however, hear a presentation from Amanda Petit from Zero Waste, who discussed how the senate can sponsor sustainable events with limited waste.

“There are simple steps you can take to move you toward a zero waste mindset,” Petit said. “We need somebody on campus to push these efforts forward. That’s how we formed.”

@jungleboi17

an631715@ohio.edu