Kenny Kaminski dribbles the ball during the game against Northern Illinois University on Feb. 6, 2016 at The Convo. The Bobcats won the game 80-69. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Kenny Kaminski masterfully picks apart Falcons with 22 points

BOWLING GREEN — Before Saturday, coach Saul Phillips said Ohio’s lone senior, Kenny Kaminski, had been trying to do too much.

Phillips felt Kaminski had rejected his patented spot-up, quick 3-point shot that’s made him one of the Mid-American Conference’s best perimeter players.

The stats didn’t lie: in the four games after former MAC Player of the Year forward Antonio Campbell’s season ended, Kaminski shot just 10-of-37 from the field with 29 points — well below his season average of 12 points a game on 44 percent shooting from beyond the arc.

Some were speculating what happened to one of the Bobcats best players, especially after his five-point performance against Toledo last week.

Well, Kaminski couldn’t have done much more during Ohio’s 96-72 blowout win over Bowling Green Saturday evening in the Stroh Center.

His 22 points on 7-of-11 shooting was his best shooting performance all season and, maybe, of his career.

“I wouldn’t say I necessarily needed it, but it feels great shooting that good,” Kaminski said after the dominating win Saturday.

Kaminski bombarded Bowling Green’s zone defense for a season-high seven 3-pointers after guard Jaaron Simmons attacked the paint early in the first half. Kaminski’s seven 3-pointers tied a Stroh Center’s record for most 3-pointers by an individual.

Kaminski said his good looks stemmed from Simmons gashing the Falcons’ defense with dribble penetration and extra passes. Simmons also had an MVP-type performance Saturday — 23 points, five assists and four rebounds on 10-of-18 shooting.

“Kenny is a great shooter, to see him light it up like that is a great feeling, especially as a point guard,” Simmons said.

The two both thanked the other for their noteworthy performances.

“Jaaron’s impact on tonight’s game was incredible,” Kaminski added.

With Campbell out for the season, Kaminski’s importance comes into focus. The Bobcats are 8-4 this season when the redshirt senior from Medina scores 10 or more points.

Kaminski also brings a certain swagger to the Bobcats.

Saturday, a Falcons fan yelled out in the second half: “Too bad you’re a senior, Kaminski! I want to see you again!” noticing that Kaminski’s career with the green and white is slowly ending.

Kaminski simply pointed at the scoreboard in response.

He’s still one of the Bobcats best players, and they’re going to need him in the remaining 10 games.

“Well, I think the big catalyst there was Kenny when he gets going like that,” Phillips said.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu