Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Travel ban, state budget on agenda for Monday’s meeting

Athens City Council could formally oppose President Donald Trump’s travel ban within the next few weeks, citing concerns for local immigrants.

Council President Chris Knisely said, based on national numbers, the ban would have an “immediate impact” on the medical profession locally.

“A substantial percentage of residents who provide medical services in communities, particularly rural communities,” Knisely said. “Many of these residents are immigrants. … They provide some very essential care for us in our region.”

Knisely said the council wouldn’t be discussing the arrest of 70 protesters at Ohio University’s Baker Center on Feb. 1.

The travel ban, which sparked protests at OU, banned travel from seven predominantly Muslim countries for 90 days. On Feb. 9, a panel of federal judges unanimously struck down the ban.

Council members are also considering formally opposing Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s new budget, which would require businesses to file taxes through the state rather than local governments and impose a one percent “service fee” to the city.

In a previous Post report, Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said the new budget was “idiotic.”

“The state is imposing a service on the city that we don’t want and we don’t need, and they charge us at the same time,” Risner said. “I want to be clear about how idiotic that is.”

At a past meeting, Athens City Auditor Kathy Hecht said the city could lose a large amount of money if businesses don’t file their taxes through the city.

“We stand to lose tens of thousands of dollars if we don’t have them audited locally," Hecht said.

Council members are also considering a request to vacate a section of Moore Road, between Factory and Schafer Streets.

According to Knisely, OU officials are planning a new medical building which would occupy part of where the road sits. Knisely said the road is “little-used” and the city would consider OU’s proposal.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu