Members of the Wind Symphony play their instruments during a rehearsal in February 2014. (FILE)

Wind Symphony to host preview of upcoming Carnegie Hall performance

Most musicians dream of being able to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City. While not every musician achieves that dream, members of the Wind Symphony at Ohio University can say they have.

The Wind Symphony will be playing at Carnegie Hall on Monday, and they will give a preview of their performance Thursday in Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium at 7:30 p.m.

At the performance Monday, the Wind Symphony will be playing seven pieces. On Thursday, they will be playing five, Seth Alexander, a graduate student studying percussion performance, said.

The concert is being put on in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the School of Music. The symphony has grown substantially, and the success of the Wind Symphony has come from the push of conductor Andrew Trachsel, Alexander said.

One of the things that makes them so unique is that it “brings together all of the old and new of the school of music,” Alexander said.

Some pieces being performed were composed by Ohio University professors, and not many bands get to play pieces with the composer in the room with them, Alexander said.

Rebecca Day, a junior studying music therapy, said the concert Thursday is serving as an opportunity for the people who can’t go to the Carnegie Hall concert on Monday to see the Wind Symphony perform.

“Thursday is a really good opportunity to practice for the Carnegie performance and to give people who can’t go the same experience,” Day said.

@becca_woj

rw243615@ohio.edu