Dems Discuss: President Trump is a threat to our republic

By middle school, most students in the United States can explain the basic, yet key principle to our democracy: checks and balances. We all know the federal government is divided into three main branches that check each other with equal power: legislative, judicial and executive. Yet in the opening weeks of Donald Trump’s presidency, it’s apparent that he either doesn’t understand that concept or simply doesn’t care about it. Whether it’s the former or the latter, Americans should be very concerned.

Of the several executive orders signed by President Trump so far, the one that has dominated the news is the travel ban on seven Muslim-majority nations. In response to this unconstitutional action, U.S. District Judge James Robart blocked the executive order, effectively allowing travel to resume.

Instead of respecting this proper use of checks and balances by a federal judge, Trump’s Twitter fingers had this to say: 

But the danger doesn’t stop with undermining our Constitution and judicial system. The free press is an unofficial, yet most important check on all of our branches of government. It is protected by the First Amendment and is considered the “Fourth Estate.”

This didn’t keep White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer from attacking the press and literally telling them what to write on his first day on the job. Nor did this keep Trump’s chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, from suggesting the media should “keep their mouth shut.” Of course, a recent tweet from President Trump contributed to this dangerous rhetoric, calling the media the opposition party.

President Trump hasn’t even been in office for a month and we’re already seeing immediate threats to the basic fundamentals of our republic. It’s encouraging to see a federal judge overturn an unconstitutional executive order, but the Republican-controlled Congress has been mostly silent on Trump’s dangerous actions and tweets.

This is not normal. Now more than ever, we need our lawmakers to protect the Constitution they were sworn into office to support and defend.

Alex is a freshman studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you think our republic is being threatened? Let Alex know by tweeting him @alexjackson716.