Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University.

On A High Note: Franz Ferdinand has got it down to a science

Like all music snobs, I hesitate before endorsing an artist, but when I do, I do it wholeheartedly. Franz Ferdinand has been a stand out band since its 2004 self-titled debut album.

“Take Me Out” and “No You Girls” were both top 10 alternative hits. Those are the kind of tracks on my getting ready playlist. If you’re headed out for the night in a college town, you’re going to be stuck with basic rap and pop music all night, so you might as well get the night started with some jams that don’t suck.

Franz Ferdinand is the kind of band that writes good records, not just good singles. Most of its album cuts are just as fast-paced as its singles, but it’s all in good taste and there are some exceptions. Tamer tracks like “Reasons To Be Cheerful, Pt. 3” from 2014’s Late Night Tales show the band’s depth.

The band's true niche, however, lies in its ability to put together catchy tracks like “Treason! Animals.” from 2013’s Right Thoughts Right Words, Right Actions. I also recommend “Bullet” from the same record. Those songs are just as fun as anything on the radio, but they have meaning and a unique quality as well.

“I hope you didn't bring flowers/ Hope you didn't write a poem/ Hope you remember every fight,” frontman Alex Kapranos sings in “Goodbye Lovers and Friends.” “I know I could be noxious/ Or occasionally cruel/ But only to the ones I loved.”

Kopranos writes lyrics that force you to consider life with a little bit more perspective than usual. Paired with the clever composition on the music end, Franz Ferdinand is a machine for alternative hits.

"I love the fact that you can make a song sound really, really simple," he explained. "If all you hear is the 'whoo-hoo' from the chorus, that's fine, but you can put a lot more into (discovering the meaning of) it as well. It's there if you want to hear it," Kopranos told MTV in 2015.

Since 2014, the only new music Franz Ferdinand has released was the single “Demagogue” for 30 Days, 30 Songs, a collaborative effort to take down Donald Trump during his campaign. Rumors have been flying lately about new music coming soon, but for now, it’s just touring for the British rock stars. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Halle Weber is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you listen to Franz Ferdinand? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.