Quire Lampkins (5) drives through contact against Kent State in the Convocation Center Saturday MATT STARKEY|STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Women's Basketball: Ohio gets another chance to send seniors off on right note

Following a crushing Mid-American Conference Tournament elimination, Ohio will have a chance to say goodbye to its seniors on a lighter note.

The Bobcats were one of 32 teams selected Monday to play in the National Invitation Tournament, and they will play at Penn State on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Bryce Jordan Center.

Ohio finished 1-1 against Big 10 Conference competition in non-conference play, splitting games with Illinois and Michigan. Penn State finished 7th in the conference with a 9-7 conference record, defeating both Illinois and Michigan.

Penn State’s strengths could be problematic for Ohio.

It posted a positive turnover margin and ranked in the top four in offensive rebounding in the Big 10 during the regular season. Meanwhile, the Bobcats have struggled to rebound all season and forcing turnovers was one of its biggest strengths.

Not only that, but Penn State would’ve ranked 4th in the Mid-American Conference in scoring. And as Ohio showed in their quarterfinal loss to NIU, they are capable of detrimental scoring droughts and prolonged defensive lapses.

It would be a great story for coach Bob Boldon to lead the seniors who changed his program to a deep run in the WNIT.

His team blew a huge lead in a conference tournament that saw three of the top four seeds eliminated before the semi-finals. And Toledo, the team that won the tournament, lost to the Bobcats twice during the regular season.

The Bobcats may have missed their chance at destiny, but they know their performance this season hasn’t lived up to the standards set by Quiera Lampkins and Jasmine Weatherspoon. This tournament is a final chance to prove themselves.

But Penn State is also trying to keep its season alive. And to advance in this tournament, Ohio will need to sure up the lapses that knocked them out of the previous one.

The Bobcats advanced to the WNIT Sweet Sixteen in 2016.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu