Ohio junior outfielder Evan Bourn (left) and senior outfielder Spencer Ibrarra pose for a portrait in Walter Fieldhouse on Tuesday, March 14. Before coming to Ohio, both Bourn and Ibarra played together at Neosho College in Chanute, Kansas.

Baseball: Spencer Ibarra, now healthy, is thriving with the Bobcats

Spencer Ibarra is not Manny De Jesus. Nor is he Mitch Longo.

As a senior outfielder with Ohio, Ibarra has spent time playing the positions — center and left, respectively — of the two ex-Bobcat standouts.

But it would be unfair to compare him to De Jesus or Longo. Instead, to help explain his break out so far this season, just label him for what he is: healthy.

Ibarra, now in his second year at Ohio after transferring from Neosho County Community College in Chanute, Kansas, has battled back injuries including two herniated discs and arthritis in some of his joints.

The injuries kept him out of Ohio’s fall season in 2015. The following spring, he hit .257 with nine extra base hits in 25 starts out of 38 appearances.

“He was a really good player when we recruited him,” Ohio coach Rob Smith said. “But he had back issues throughout most of last year and just never really found a rhythm.”

Nagging back pain limited his 2016 fall season, too. But he’s a regular in the Bobcat lineup and doing damage at the plate.

Having played in all 19 games so far, he leads the team in runs scored and is tied for the team lead in batting average, hits and home runs.

“This is what he’s capable of when he’s healthy,” Smith said.

Ibarra was recognized as the Mid-American Conference’s East Division Player of the Week this past week, hitting 7-for-15 with three home runs in four games. As the recognition and results roll in, he feels a new sense of confidence.

Smith has provided him a chance to be an everyday outfielder. To maintain that position, he works with Austin Martinez, the team’s graduate assistant athletic trainer, to stretch out his back and prevent further injury.

“I think just having that confidence in myself and knowing that my teammates and my coaches have confidence in me just helps a lot in being able to go up there and do what you want to do with the baseball,” Ibarra said.

The Bobcats wrap up an eight-game home stand with three games against Butler this weekend. Ibarra will almost certainly be in those games, likely batting leadoff as he often does, but Smith said it won’t matter where he hits in the order.

“The way he’s swinging right now, I like him one through nine,” Smith said.

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu