Tyler Corbit

Tyler's Bit: Ohio's campus isn't truly 'tobacco-free'

There are a lot of issues that face all of us, some small and some big. Some are so small, yet have a huge impact we don’t always even think about. One of those issues is smoking on campus. Though over 15 percent of those older than 18 smoke cigarettes, just because it happens, doesn’t mean it’s OK to do. The health issues facing those breathing in second-hand smoke are common knowledge, yet people still smoke cigarettes on campus grounds regularly. The question also falls, is smoking on campus anyone’s job to stop or not, or do we just have a faulty rule?

Ohio University defines itself as a tobacco-free campus. Just because it says it's smoke-free, doesn’t mean it happens. Regularly, you can see someone on College Green or trekking up Morton Hill with a lit cigarette. You have every right to smoke. I am not going to sit here and tell you that smoking should be banned. You have the right to smoke, and if you want to smoke, you should. However, those of us who choose not to smoke have the right to not breathe in your cigarette. The fault in that can’t fall solely on one person, but rather the thinking of the law.

In theory, a rule that outlaws smoking on campus may sound good in practice. It has become more or less a guideline. It is encouraged that you don’t smoke on campus, but no one is going to do anything. It is nothing more than what prohibition was at this point. I, like most people, can’t really get mad when breathing in second-hand smoke. It is just something that happens in life. I, like many others, would like to see smoking stop on campus, but it will truly never happen.

We have come a long way from when we had smoking and non-smoking sections that accomplished nothing. There really is not much more people can do. People will smoke, people will not smoke, and people will live cause that’s life.

Tyler Corbit is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Are you tobacco-free? Let Tyler know by tweeting him @tylercorbit.