Hannah Bush participates in the high jump during Ohio's Cherry Blossom invitational on Saturday (BLAKE NISSEN | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Track and Field: Ohio has an average showing at Jesse Owens Classic in Columbus

Ohio has performed well at the Jesse Owens Classic in the past, but this weekend was different.

Ohio traveled to Columbus to compete against schools such as Ohio State, Michigan State and Kent State among others. Unfortunately, the team lacked a solid, all-around performance.

The 1500-meter run was one of the Bobcats’ weakest events, despite it usually being one of their best. Madison Sury was the top runner for the Bobcats, placing No. 35 overall among a field of 45 runners. Sury placed No. 10 in her heat, posting a time of 4:43.96.

Along with the 1500-meter run, the Bobcats didn’t fare well in another event they usually proper in: the 100-meter hurdles. Kristin Winkel, a senior sprinter, placed No. 18 overall in the 100-meter hurdles. Winkel placed No. 9 in her heat with a time of 14.49.

Though the Bobcats had weak events, there were a few better ones. One was the 5000- meter run. The meet had a regular section of 12 runners as well as a showcase section with 23 runners.

The Bobcats competed in the regular section, and Emily Cass and Abby Miller placed in the top five of the event. Cass placed No. 2 with a time of 17:38.26, and Miller placed No. 4 with a time of 17:53.07.

Along with the 5000-meter run, the field events had a solid showing. In the shot put, Jordan Porter placed No. 4 with a throw of 15.90 meters. The throw was a personal best for Porter.

Aside from the shot put, the Bobcats continued to do well in the javelin. Emma Ryan and Tajah Haley placed in the top five of the event for a third straight meet.

Ryan placed No. 3 with a throw of 42.37 meters, and Haley placed No. 5 with a throw of 38.83 meters.

As the Bobcats come off the Jesse Owens Classic, they will prepare for the Ohio Open, which will be at home Thursday. The Ohio Open will be the Bobcats’ last home meet of the season.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu