Reggae hip-hop artist Shaggy will perform for the University Programming Council’s annual #TBT concert. (via urbanilandz flickr)

Shaggy to perform hit songs Thursday in Baker Ballroom

Correction appended. 

Ohio University students should prepare to hear some “Boombastic” hits in Baker Ballroom before finals week.

Shaggy, a reggae hip-hop artist, will perform for free, Thursday at 6 p.m. as part of the University Program Council and the Black Student Cultural Programming Board’s #TBT concert.

Hannah Hershfield, the public relations executive for UPC, said the organizers have been working for a few months to bring Shaggy and they picked him because they knew he was popular and well-liked.

“It’s always kind of fun to bring back someone who people might not know, but they recognize,” Hershfield, a senior studying communication studies, said.

In Baker Ballroom at 4 p.m., there will be an event featuring food, such as Kona Ice, and throwback crafts, such as airbrush hats, tattoos and shirts.

Shaggy is known for his songs “It Wasn’t Me” and “Angel,” which both topped Billboard’s Hot 100 chart. He also has more than five million monthly listeners on Spotify.

The event will be in Baker Ballroom rather than South Beach, where it has been held in the past, because the unpredictable weather and the organizers wanted to play it safe, Hershfield said.

“You don’t want to miss out on it,” Hershfield said.

Check out some tweets from excited fans of Shaggy about his upcoming Ohio University apperance.

In the past, UPC has brought artists such as Metro Station, the Ying Yang Twins and Aaron Carter for the annual #TBT concert, according to previous Post reports.

Many students are fans of “It Wasn’t Me,” including David Craver, a sophomore studying integrated media. Even though he isn’t attending the show, he said he would be interested in going because it’d be “different” from the usual party scene music.

“That song is hype,” Craver said. “I would totally be down if I didn’t have class and had to study all week.”

Emma Hurst, an undecided freshman, is thinking of attending the Shaggy concert with her cousin and is also excited to hear Shaggy’s hits “It Wasn’t Me” and “Angel.”

“Especially because we’re older and that was (popular) when we were younger, I feel like it’d be a fun throwback,” Hurst said.

@_alexdarus

ad019914@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report incorrectly stated where the #TBT concert will take place. It will take place in Baker Ballroom. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.