Gabby Shipta, left, and Max Wolff, right, make Frappuccinos in Front Room on Sunday, August 28, 2016. Front Room recently expanded the number of Frappuccinos they offer. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY)

Front Room Coffeehouse undergoing summer renovations

The Front Room Coffeehouse is set to undergo a summertime facelift, featuring new flooring, furniture, counters and paint, and will be ready to greet students arriving for the Fall Semester.

Doors to the Starbucks-brand cafe closed as the 2017 Spring Semester concluded. It’s slated to reopen Aug. 24, just days before fall classes are set to begin on Aug. 28.

“It’s more of a refresh than a remodel,” Ohio University Spokesman Jim Sabin said in an email. “As far as improvements to service, we are moving an entry door toward the entrance from Baker Center to allow the line to flow from just one point of entry.”

In October, the Board of Trustees approved a number of construction projects on the Athens campus, including the demolition of O’Bleness House and Martzolff House on South Green, as well as renovations in Alden Library, which has a budget of about $2.9 million.

Meanwhile, Front Room and its Baker Center neighbor, Latitude 39, were allotted a combined budget of $1 million. Work has since begun to renovate the interiors of both spaces.

“Culinary Services constantly reviews the operational needs of each venue and refreshes as needed,” Sabin said. “However, the focus is on the Front Room and Latitude 39 at the moment.”

Student employees who would typically spend their summers working at Front Room have been temporarily reassigned to different campus cafes for the duration of the renovations. Many will work at Alden Library’s Cafe Bibliotech, which is typically closed for the summer, but will be open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. for those on campus for the Summer Semester.

For now, those looking for their coffee fix can visit Steam Station Cafe, located in the West Union Street Office Center, or a recently-opened coffee cart on the fourth floor of Baker Center.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu