Matthew Shaftel will be the new dean of the College of Fine Arts (provided via the College of Fine Arts).

College of Fine Arts appoints new dean

After a “comprehensive” search, the Ohio University College of Fine Arts is set to welcome Matthew Shaftel as its new dean, according to a May 12 news release.

Shaftel, who will officially step into the role July 15, currently serves as the dean and director of the Westminster College of the Arts at Rider University in New Jersey. Prior to his role at Westminster, he served in various roles for 14 years at Florida State University, which included time as a professor of music theory and a position as associate vice president for academic affairs.

“I am so enthusiastic about this opportunity to work collaboratively with the innovative students and faculty of the College of Fine Arts,” Shaftel said in the news release. “It is truly exciting to be part of a culture that seeks to extend the value of the arts beyond the classroom and into the community and I look forward to expanding upon COFA’s long history of creative excellence as we build a brighter future through the arts in Athens and beyond.”

A graduate of Yale University, Shaftel holds a master's degree and a doctorate degree — both in music theory — and earned a certificate in higher education leadership from Harvard University.

Shaftel was chosen as part of a search process in which three candidates were selected to visit Athens in March.

Elizabeth Sayrs, who served as interim dean of the College of Fine Arts, will return as dean of University College once Shaftel begins his position. Sayrs has served as interim dean since December 2015, according to a previous Post report. She replaced Margaret Kennedy-Dygas, whose resignation was a “personal decision to pursue other interests,” according to the report.

Although a March news release notes the chosen candidate was expected to begin their appointment “on or before” July 1, Shaftel will begin about two weeks later.

Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit expressed her excitement for the appointment of the new dean, noting the search committee was “most impressed with his positive energy.”

“Dr. Shaftel’s creativity and extensive and experience as an artist, professor and academic administrator will bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the College of Fine Arts, and I am excited to welcome him to OHIO,” Benoit said in the news release

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu