The Convocation Center on Oct. 9, 2014. 

Former OU assistant athletic director pleads guilty to tampering with records

Correction appended. 

A former member of Ohio’s athletic department pleaded guilty to tampering with records following an investigation by the Ohio University Police Department.

Drake Bolon, the former assistant athletic director for marketing and sales, stepped down on June 27, according to a resignation letter obtained by The Post. He was placed on paid administrative leave by the university after “allegations of unacceptable workplace conduct.”

He pleaded guilty to the charge of tampering with records via a Bill of Information, which is when someone agrees to the charges before coming in front of a grand jury.

The police report stated that on Nov. 5, 2015, OUPD met with OU administration about suspicious financial activities. After an investigation, OUPD met with the university’s internal auditor, the Athens County Prosecutor’s office and Bolon.

Bolon has been placed in the Athens County Empowerment program for three years. The program rehabilitates low-level first-time offenders. He also agreed to pay OU $6,000 in restitution.

A spokesperson for the athletic department declined to comment, as the university does not comment on personnel matters. 

The charge of tampering with records is a third-degree felony in Ohio. The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000.

Bolon was promoted to the position in October 2014. A posting for his replacement has been published by the university.

His biography and an article mentioning his promotion have been removed from the Ohio Bobcats website.

This is a developing story. Stick with The Post for updates.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly listed Mr. Bolon as having been arrested. He was not arrested, according to Lt. Tim Ryan of OUPD.

@efelderstein14

Ef684013@ohio.edu