Tom Colletti during Ohio's game against The Ohio State University on Tuesday (BLAKE NISSEN | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Baseball: Tom Colletti signs with San Diego Padres

Senior right-hander Tom Colletti has signed with the San Diego Padres as an undrafted free agent, Ohio announced in a release on Saturday.

Colletti, who did most of his work out of the bullpen, made six starts this season in 27 appearances, finishing with a 3.66 ERA and leading the team with a .196 opponent batting average.

He became a Sunday starter in late April and pitched the only complete game of Ohio’s season, a three-hitter with nine strikeouts against Mid-American Conference regular season champion Kent State.

After transferring from Waubonsee Community College, where he made a National Junior College Athletic Association all-region team as an infielder, Colletti played three seasons at Ohio. He never stepped in the batter’s box as a Bobcat, but he made 75 appearances on the mound and was part of two MAC Championships.

Colletti is the fourth Bobcat (third pitcher) to sign with an MLB team in the five years since Rob Smith has been head coach, according to the team’s release.

No financial details of his signing were disclosed and his impending assignment hasn’t been announced. But he will most likely be sent to San Diego’s Short-Season A affiliate, the Tri-City Dust Devils, who play in Pasco, Washington.

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu