Duane Nellis, who previously served as president of Texas Tech University and of the University of Idaho, fields questions at the first of the presidential candidate open forums in Baker Center Ballroom on Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016.

President Nellis makes first address and announces new initiative during the Class of 2021 Convocation

As members of Ohio University’s Class of 2021 filed through the doors of The Convo for the annual President’s Convocation, another person made his first steps into Fall Semester — the university president himself.

OU President Duane Nellis, who took office in June, joined university leaders and administrators in welcoming the incoming freshmen.

“I don’t know how you spent your summer, but I spent mine falling in love. Don’t worry — my wife, Ruthie, already knows all about this,” Nellis said. “In fact, she fell in love this summer, too. We both fell in love with Ohio University.”

The ceremony began with Chais Michael, a junior studying child and family studies and the winner of the #LoveOHIO competition, who spoke to first-year students following a showing of the video she submitted to the contest.

“I love Ohio University because of the countless opportunities I am given — for all the experiences I get to better my education and myself as a person,” Michael said. “I love that Ohio University has something to offer for everyone. I have trouble explaining it, because in fact, it is one of the hardest things to explain.”

Faculty Senate Chair Joe McLaughlin, an English professor, channeled “Alice in Wonderland” when he prompted freshmen to consider their roles on campus.

“‘Who are you?’ If you don’t ponder that question frequently over the next several years, we’re not doing our job,” McLaughlin said. “You’re about to encounter all types of strange and wonderful people, and some annoying ones, too. That’s part of education.”

Interim Executive Vice President and Provost David Descutner recalled his own freshman experience at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania as he spoke to the Class of 2021, cautioning them against following the path he took during his own freshman year and urging them to take advantage of the “boundless opportunities.”

“Above all, be prepared to be open-minded,” Descutner said. “You have to be open to the things that make you less than comfortable … out of tension and friction and discomfort, come learning.”

Nellis took the stage to officially welcome the incoming freshmen into the “Bobcat family,” recalling his summer spent learning about the university and announcing a new initiative: the Presidential Leadership Society.

The society will be composed of students who will work alongside the president, serving as university representatives at various events throughout the year. Those students, Nellis explained, would have “firsthand knowledge” of events happening in classrooms and across campus.

“On this day, I want each of you to make a promise to yourself, the same promise I made to myself decades ago,” Nellis said. “Aspire to be more than you are today. Learn more. Explore more. Dream more. You’ll be better as a result, and so will our society.”

Before departing the stage, he expressed his appreciation for the new class.

“You’re very special to me. You’re my inaugural class,” Nellis said. “I look forward to sharing this journey with you.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu