In a Heartbeat tells the story of two boys who fall in love at first sight. (PROVIDED via Kickstarter)

Film Review: Animated short film ‘In a Heartbeat’ tells heartwarming story of young boys in love

An animated short film that is gaining traction on the internet beautifully illustrates the moment a person sets eyes on their true love — no matter the other person’s gender.

In a Heartbeat starts with a freckle-faced, redhead boy admiring his crush from afar. His crush happens to be a strapping fella, whom the boy thinks is impressive. When his heart literally leaps out of his chest, he follows it to the boy who now has it in his possession.

When the chemistry between the boys is noticed by their classmates, the redhead gets embarrassed and runs away with only half his heart. But his crush is quick to bring back the other half and mend it.

In a Heartbeat is of the same caliber as animation studio Pixar’s famous short films, but was not made with the professional hands of the studio. Instead, students from the Ringling College of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, composed the 4-minute film. The creators even set up a Kickstarter to raise funds for the film. The same-sex relationship storyline is one that hasn’t really been tackled in a short format by bigger studios, so it’s refreshing to see it told.

Though the romance contains no words, it speaks volumes. It shows love at first sight is not confined to people who are heterosexual. Love knows no bounds, and it certainly isn’t restricted to a person’s gender.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu