Ohio and Bowling Green collide after an Ohio corner kick. After double overtime, the Bobcats tied 1-1 with the Falcons on October 19, 2017. (Emilee Chinn | For The Post)

Soccer: Double overtime affair with Bowling Green ends in tie

It was a tale of two halves for the Bobcats.

After being dominated in the first 45 minutes, Ohio showed it could compete with one of the Mid-American Conference’s elite in Bowling Green after a 1-1 draw.

Assistant coach Debs Brereton was impressed with the resilience and the ability to adjust from the team in the second half.

“They implemented the changes well,” she said. “They got some momentum going towards the end, and we almost took it there at the end.”

The Falcons started the game on the attack, going straight at the Bobcat defense and getting multiple clean shots off in the first half.

The aggressiveness payed off for Bowling Green in the 11th minute, when Madison Schupbach found the back of the net and gave the Falcons a 1-0 lead

After the goal, the Bobcats were still unable to stop Bowling Green, or get anything going offensively. Ohio went into the break with no shots on goal compared to the Falcons’ •four.

In the second half, however, Ohio (7-8-2, 3-4-2 MAC) flipped the script.

After a couple quick shots to open up the half, the Bobcats would tie the game up in the 48th minute, thanks to a header by Alivia Milesky.

Milesky saw an opportunity and she knew had to take it.

“Getting to the corner, I notice there’s no one at back post.” She said. “I was just there in the moment and smashed it in.”

The rest of the half saw the Bobcats go after Bowling Green (10-5-1, 5-3-1 MAC), similar to how they were attacked in the first 45 minutes. Ohio went into extra time with eight shots on goal. 

The best opportunity for either team to score in the overtime periods came from the Bobcats, when Remi Eades had a shot collected at the last second by the Falcons’ goalie.

Despite not being able to pull out a victory, head coach Aaron Rodgers was impressed with the way the team played.

“Very proud of the players today.” Rodgers said. “We want to keep that intensity as we move forward.”

Ohio’s next game will be at home against Toledo (7-6-3, 4-2-2 MAC). Sunday's matchup will be senior day and the Bobcats’ last home game of the season.

Kickoff will be 1 p.m. on Sunday at Chessa Field.

@_relyt_j

tj932016@ohio.edu

Tyler Johnson

Sports