A Boogie Wit da Hoodie will perform at the Sibs Weekend Concert in 2018. (photo via WikiMedia Commons).

A Boogie wit da Hoodie set to perform in MemAud on Saturday

During February last year, Matthew Kinlow was the vice president of the Black Student Cultural Programming Board and the annual Sibs Weekend Concert had been canceled. 

“We realized that was a once in a lifetime kind of thing — the perfect storm of conditions made things go awry,” Kinlow, a senior studying biology, said.

But with only days leading up to the Sibs Weekend 2018 Concert, Kinlow, who is now the president of the organization, said there will be no chance of cancellation. 

A Boogie wit da Hoodie will perform Saturday in the Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium at 8 p.m. Admission is $30 for the first 10 rows, $25 for the rest of the floor and $20 for balcony seating.

Last year, hip-hop group Migos, which just released its album Culture II, was set to perform for the Sibs Weekend Concert. Less than a month before the concert, Migos canceled its performance due to scheduling conflicts.

BSCPB started searching for an artist who could leave an imprint on the university at the end of of the 2016-17 academic year because of the Migos cancellation.

“There was a need for it to be someone that we could secure,” Kinlow said. “We needed to do all of that very early on.” 

BSCPB tries to book artists on the verge of superstardom, Kinlow said. A Boogie wit da Hoodie joins the likes of Brandi, J Cole and Waka Flocka Flame who have performed at OU for Sibs Weekend. 

“I think he’s excited to come here and I think students are excited to see him,” Kinlow said.

A Boogie wit da Hoodie is known for his song “Drowning,” which has more than 200 million plays on Spotify. He has also been featured on Chris Brown’s “Pills and Automobiles,” Fetty Wap’s “Keke” and “Wait,” a new song by Maroon 5. 

Mitchell Crawford, a freshman studying health administration, said he likes A Boogie wit da Hoodie’s music and is considering going to the concert. 

“He has bangers,” Crawford said. “He’s not just straight up rap.” 

A Boogie wit da Hoodie mixes sing-songy styles with rap, and Kinlow said his mixture will fit in with the Sibs Weekend crowd.

“Ohio has so much energy and his energy matches,” Kinlow said. “We want people to be able to come and have a good time.”

Jack Korsok, a freshman studying business analytics and management information systems, said A Boogie wit da Hoodie’s songs are catchy, which will appeal to those here for Sibs Weekend. 

“It’s a young crowd and he’s an up-and-coming artist, so I’m sure a lot of people know his name by now,” Korsok said.

BSCPB booked A Boogie wit da Hoodie at a good time in his career because he has new music dropping in 2018, Kinlow said.

“In 2018, everybody is going to know who A Boogie is,” he said. “We’re right in the sweet spot. … This is perfect timing.”

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu