Migos will perform at Number Fest this year. (Provided via Wikimedia Commons).

Sibs Weekend concert canceled; Migos drops out

Rain drop, drop top. Migos cancels its Ohio University stop.

Migos, a hip-hop trio, was slated to headline the annual Sibs Weekend concert hosted by the Black Student Cultural Programming Board, but the group has canceled its appearance. The group also canceled four other shows in different venues around the nation, according to Ticketmaster.

“They had booked themselves to appear at another event on the same night,” Jeffrey Billingslea, the president of BSCPB, said. “We were initially taken aback and we wanted to work with them to figure out the best option, but we were unable to do so in a timely manner.”

Some people reacted to the news on Twitter:

Due to the “unforeseen circumstances,” BSCPB has canceled the concert entirely and is working with the university to refund those who bought tickets, according to a press release from the organization. A “Facts and Questions” sheet will be released to help those who bought tickets to receive refunds.

“Everyone can expect to get a full refund,” Billingslea, a senior studying political science, said.

Meilaud Padidarnazar, an undecided freshman, was not expecting Migos to come to Ohio University and was surprised to hear the group was coming in the first place. He said close friends of his who planned on attending the concert were upset to hear the news. He added that he was shocked himself.

“I was kind of shocked because I have been a fan of them for a couple of years now and I didn’t think they would do that to their fans on such a short notice,” Padidarnazar said.

Migos recently hit the top of the charts with “Bad and Boujee” on Jan. 21, according to Billboard. The music website attributed some of the group’s success to its growing internet presence. During the Golden Globes on Sunday, the group received a shout out from Atlanta creator Donald Glover, who thanked Migos for making the No. 1 hit.

Adriana Mazzotta, a sophomore studying studio art, said she did not buy her tickets, but was planning to do so.

“I was going to go,” Mazzotta said. “My sibling was going to come down and we were going to go.”

Despite the concert cancellation, the other Sibs Weekend events have not been affected, and BSCPB will be putting its “full support behind the weekend,” Billingslea said.

Mary Kuntzman, a sophomore studying graphic design, said the concert would have been “a really fun time,” noting the group’s hit “Bad and Boujee.”

“What are we going to do now?” Kuntzman asked.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu