Liz Backo

From the Editor's Desk: ‘Post’ puts focus on recruiting

Editor's note: The article has been updated to reflect the content of the weekly tab. 

Recruiting has been a big focus this week for everybody at The Post. Staff members have been stopping into classrooms to chat a little bit about what The Post is and what we do every day. This Thursday, Jan. 25, we will have an all-staff meeting in Schoonover 145 at 7 p.m. It is a way for other people to get to know The Post and learn more about joining. 

A lot of people join The Post to enhance skills, such as reporting, photographing and editing. We have staffers who write once a week or a few times per month along with people who produce several stories each week. And for many, The Post newsroom becomes a place to watch sports, work on class assignments and learn what it’s like to be a part of a team. 

Regardless if you want to report, post on social media, design pages, produce videos or something else, there’s a spot for everyone here. 

If you read this week’s print issue, you can flip through the pages and see what I’m talking about. We have stories about librarians, the Board of Trustees, sports and the Time’s Up movement. We try to report on anything that might be of interest to students, faculty, Athens residents and alumni.

If you take a look at our online presence, you’ll see even more staffs of The Post represented. Tweets from @ThePost are displayed on the right side of our homepage’s desktop version. A slideshow of videos is at the bottom of our page, and that section is surrounded by specially coded stories and landing pages. 

I suppose this column is a shameless plug for The Post, but I truly believe it is a great way to sharpen communication skills, learn a little more about Athens and meet some new people. So, if you want to join The Post, visit Baker 325 anytime, stop by our meeting in Schoonover, tweet as us or talk to any Postie. All students are welcome, regardless of major. We are always excited to have new faces in the newsroom. 

But if you’re not a student and still want to support The Post, help by reaching out. Tell us what you want to see in The Post. Tell us what we can do better. Tell us when you think we did a great job and when we can improve. We want to make this semester even better than the last. 

Elizabeth Backo is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. What do you want to see from The Post this semester? Tell her at eb823313@ohio.edu or send her a tweet at @liz_backo.