The rapid rise of the Hocking River due to heavy rainfall in the area has caused Ohio University to cancel classes for Monday, Feb. 26.

Classes at OU's Athens campus canceled Monday in anticipation of potential flooding

Students at Ohio University's Athens campus will have a three-day weekend.

Officials announced Friday that, in anticipation of severe weather and potential flooding, classes would be canceled Monday. The university will remain open, however, and the university alert said classes are expected to resume Tuesday.

"Based on current forecasts, specific areas on campus may be impacted by flooding Sunday evening into Monday morning," the university alert stated. "In addition to closed roadways and flooding on campus, there is a potential for high winds, which increases the possibility of widespread outages across campus, impacting power in residence halls, dining facilities and academic buildings."

The alert went on to state that classes are canceled so students wishing to leave campus may do so, as the university "will make every effort to ensure students on campus are safe, but living conditions may not be ideal."

Several parking lots are already being evacuated due to rising waters. Permit holders in Jefferson Garage are already advised to move their cars, and all drivers are advised to avoid lots near areas of potential high water.

The university alert said Facilities Management is taking steps to secure roadways. Drivers are advised to avoid flooded areas to avoid potential unseen hazards.

@Hayley__Harding

hh102614@ohio.edu